Rudder Downhaul

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Rudder Downhaul

Post by Double Horizon »

The rudder downhaul swage fitting should be inspected on an annual basis. If it shows signs of corrosion or any strands are broken it should be replaced.

You will need a 6mm (or 1/4") 7x19 wire with an eye on each end. One eye must be attached after the cable is pulled and in place. The Drawing from Quorning shows the length is 2.0m but the one I removed from the factory measured 2.4m eye to eye. I think the measurement is not critical and anywhere from 2.0-2.4 is acceptable, as the range of motion allowed in the aft compartment is about 2m overall.

I would recommend you purchase the cable from a rigger with one end attached and use a mechanical fitting on the outer end. It can be very challenging to insert the center cone of a mechanical fitting in 7x19 wire, without messing up the strands. If you get it sized for 2.4m you have some extra chances to re-cut and tray again if needed. Alternatively you can use an eye with thimble and NicroPress, or sometimes your checkbook is the best tool -- and hire a rigger.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Larry, did yours come off? Sounds like a spare that should always be on board.

Is there no synthetic solution?
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

No it didn't come off. I replaced it for preventive maintenance because I heard about another boat having an incident with that cable.

I considered using Dyneema but the cable may rub against hard marine growth inside the hole where it exits the transom. Stainess will not chafe.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

Our cable is original from 1995 and still in good shape, but the shackle which connects it to the rudder fitting failed just after leaving the dock !
I'm sure glad it didn't fail as we were crossing the Strait of Georgia in 20 knots !