Performance difference between rotating & non rotating m

For all those DF1000 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
hawc
Your Country: Brooklyn NY USA

Performance difference between rotating & non rotating m

Post by hawc »

I Purchased a DF 1000 with a 15 meter non-rotating mast. Can anyone tell me the performance I would expect to achieve if the mast was made to rotate?
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Performance difference between rotating & non rotati

Post by Mika Harju »

hawc wrote:I Purchased a DF 1000 with a 15 meter non-rotating mast. Can anyone tell me the performance I would expect to achieve if the mast was made to rotate?
From sail engineering point of view a rotating mast is a part of sail and a standing mast just adds drag. For example Multi 2000 rating number adds rotating mast area to main sail area. For DF1000R that means almost 5 sqm more area; it is about 10% of a big square top main sail.
My DF1000R rating number is 1.07 and if I remove the rotating mast of the calculation formula it is 1.05. DF1000R rotating mast is not a proper wing mast, it is just a quite normal mast profile.
Multi 2000 rating:
http://dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpBB/vi ... ating#1310
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
hawc
Your Country: Brooklyn NY USA

rotating mast

Post by hawc »

Thanks for the info. Maki. Did your mast come with swept back spreaders at the top of the mast. My mast has three swept back sets. Also do you have any pictures of the rotating mast step you could share with me?

Thanks again, Kevin
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: rotating mast

Post by Mika Harju »

Attached is a CAD drawing of my mast in PDF format. I hope there is all information you need.

DF1000R-8RigAssyV4Date051214.pdf
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Performance difference between rotating & non rotati

Post by Double Horizon »

hawc wrote:I Purchased a DF 1000 with a 15 meter non-rotating mast. Can anyone tell me the performance I would expect to achieve if the mast was made to rotate?
Welcome to the Dragonfly owners user forum. I'm nearby in SW Connecticut, and owned a DF1000 for 3 years before I bought my DF1200. Maybe it was the one you bought? It would be nice to meet or chat on the phone sometime.

Larry (you can get my contact info from Richard at Dragonfly USA)
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200