Purchasing DF800SW in US. Support, parts, etc?

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Purchasing DF800SW in US. Support, parts, etc?

Post by cogniz »

I've been in the hunt for an Fboat for a few months but I'm captivated by the quality of the build of the DF boats. That said, there are few in the US it appears and I'd guess that parts, support, etc would be considerably less than the Corsair / Farrier clan.

There have been some discussions here about the differences in the boats but I welcome any other input. I'm looking for a family cruiser, beach explorer, camper for my family. No racing is planned. Seems the DF800 has an edge over the F24s..

As always, I welcome (and implore) wisdom from the folks out there that have forgotten more about sailing than I currently know.

Thanks.
Cog.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

EVERYTHING for DF will be more expensive than for F boats!

You can use any standard ropes and regular blocks. Everything else is European and metric, or only made by Quorning. Everything is expensive and takes FOREVER to get in the US.

Spars, furlers, some of the rigging has to be ordered either from DF dealer or a SINGLE US distributor/repair place. For example, only 1 place appears to service the furler on my 920. Took forever to arrange, but then turnaround was reasonably quick; cost many hundreds of $. Waterstays must come from Quorning. I had a VHF antenna connector break on me. The choice was to replace with US parts both male and female ends which means fiberglass work on deck. Luckily, I was able to find the right part by ordering a FEW different one and matching it. A lock on my main hatch broke - there is no way to replace it with an American part without making and attaching additional stuff to the boat since the cutouts are all metric.

Hoses for bilge pump are 25 mm. So nothing in 1 inch size fits. I had to replace a pump and put a new piece of hose - had to file down a PVC connector to connect 1 inch hose to 25 mm hose.

A common Honda 10 outboard is coded with EU model which means it is very difficult to match the right parts. My local Honda dealer would spend an hour browsing different NA models to find the right match. I had to try 3 different impellers before I found the right one. First 1 was non-refundable... Electrical connector between engine and deck plug is EU. When it breaks, and it will break, have to replace deck plug = fiberglass work!

You get the idea...

On the other hand, DF's are much nicer and safer than Corsair.

When I was shopping for a boat, my first choice was f24 or DF800. I planned mostly day sailing with my wife and (at the time) small kids. In the end, we chose 920. In the very first year we found out that we liked cruising (even a 2 day/ 1 night) a lot. 920 turned out a MUCH better choice because of enclosed head! Also, 920 is much drier than 800, and 800 is much drier than f24.

F boats are a lot of fun and very fast! Trailering is a lot easier with F boat than DF unless you go for DF28 which is very expensive.

It is a lot easier to find used F/Corsair in the US.
cogniz

eyes wide open

Post by cogniz »

Thanks so much gminkovsky.
While I'd thought parts / repair might be a challenge, I did not think through the depth of which that might be true...

Given this is my first sail boat to own, I'm leaning toward the F24. Although it's an internal battle right now. We've got 3 small kids too and I hope the family grabs on to the fun of cruising and camping as yours did. Thanks again.
cogniz

I've gone and done it

Post by cogniz »

gminkovsky-
I pulled DF SW800. #242, home on Friday. Now the puzzle begins!
So many questions but if you will, 2 pressing ones.

1. Bilge Pump - Was there a factory, electric, bilge pump and if so, where is it?
2. Stepping - Can it be done without the stepping kit or a crane? That is, manually.

Thanks for your earlier guidance about the differences with Fboats. I'm very pleased with the boat thus far and she's not even put together yet.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

First, congratulations!

Second, get in touch with Richard Suriani - US DF dealer. You will need his support.

Third, expect a flurry of answers from other knowledgeable DF800 owners!

I am not sure on q1. In 920 there are both electric and manual bildge pumps located on port side of the cabin just aft of the mast. All hoses lead to transom.

Q2. Although I am sure it is POSSIBLE to raise the mast without the kit (i know J27 owner who does that all the time...) it is not advisable. The kit is just 2 sets of wires to keep the mast balanced side to side while it is being raised. Everything else is just reuse of existing lines and blocks. You should order it from Richard ASAP or have someone give you exact dimensions and make it yourself or pay a rigger to do it. It is just 2 wires of different length and quick links to attach them to the boat and to your backstay. In one of the posts I copied Quornign instruction on raising the mast verbatim from the manual. The instructions are identical for 920 and 800. (In fact the diagram and instructions actually refer to 800 set-up. 920 is very slightly different.) Just search for it in the forum under my name.

In your other post you are asking about rigging. There should be a PDF or Word manual for your boat. Either Richard or one of the owners should be able to provide it to you. You NEED it. It has all diagrams and a lot of very useful information.

However, whether or not you get a manual, I URGE to have another experienced DF sailor help you set-up, rig and SAIL the first couple of times! Perhaps the previous owner will help you. There are a lot of small but important things that you will learn. I maintain a list of things to do (or not to do) as I learn from suggestion or my own mistakes. A simple example is: DO NOT OPEN easy locks under load. First, take the load on the winch, then open lock, then ease the line. Otherwise, the lock will strip the cover from the line!

Also, there is a DF owners register spreadsheet around. Sign up - you will need to search the forum for the contact of the maintainer. In it you will see our names and addresses. I am sure there are other DF's within a few hours drive!

Also, read ALL posts in both this and old forum. Then ask! You will get answers to everything!

Good luck!

PS if you visit New York metro area, I know a DF 800 that sails year-round including winter! I am sure they will be happy to take you on a sail or two! Otherwise, in the spring, you are welcome on my 920.
cogniz

::gulp::

Post by cogniz »

Thanks gminkovsky.
I connected with Richard before I bought the boat but a good reminder to reconnect with him.

The previous owner told me there is no installed bilge pump on the SW800. So I'll clean her out the old fashioned way (wet/dry vac).

Unpacking the cabin I did find what I believe to be the mast raise kit. 2 aluminum poles with a quick connect end and some short cables with eyelets.
Also, I do have the manual and I'll study it carefully. Part of my learning curve is basic nomenclature. Once I get the terms, I'm sure the written descriptions will make more sense.

Thanks for weighing in, truly. I'm beyond excited about this boat the adventures she'll offer the family.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Post by philw »

That sounds like a mast raising kit - wish I had one!

I've had all sorts of fun and games with this and I would caution that it can go wrong quickly and expensively. The key thing is to make sure the mast AND boom stay on the centreline of the boat. If they start going sideways, the forces involved go up really quickly. I'm working out a better method over the next couple of weeks and I'll post any lessons learned here in due course.

My DF800 also has no bilge pump so I use a small stuirrup pump and a bucket!

Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
cogniz

Post by cogniz »

Excellent advice Phil. Thank you for the wisdom. I"ll proceed with extreme caution.
My hope is to get the mast stepped a few times sitting in my yard before I"ve got to put it up at the ramp. I'll keep you posted.

rad

philw wrote:That sounds like a mast raising kit - wish I had one!

I've had all sorts of fun and games with this and I would caution that it can go wrong quickly and expensively. The key thing is to make sure the mast AND boom stay on the centreline of the boat. If they start going sideways, the forces involved go up really quickly. I'm working out a better method over the next couple of weeks and I'll post any lessons learned here in due course.

My DF800 also has no bilge pump so I use a small stuirrup pump and a bucket!

Phil
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Post by philw »

Glad to be of assistance. I am planning to get the mast up in skpw time at home before we try to launch this year. Good luck.

Could you help me out? I don't have the ally poles - could you measure them for me please? Thanks.
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
cogniz

poles

Post by cogniz »

Happy to measure and document with images. Let me make sure what I have is actually the stepping kit. I've yet to fully audit all the lines and gear that came with the boat.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
choppy
Your Country: south coast, UK

Post by choppy »

Hi Phil - I have the mast raising bits + a couple of homemade extras -you are welcome to take a look & measure -
Taking it slowly at first (extra pair of hands maybe reassuring) it should not be too sweaty.
I no longer have your email but can contact me via mocra guys or ad in for sale Chris
cogniz

Mast raising kit

Post by cogniz »

Please include me on any photos / data you have. Especially the home built solutions.
While I've not attempted to step the mast yet (and will have a helper for the first few attempts) there has to be an easier way to manage the process.

I'll post a link, hopefully this weekend, to images of what I believe to be the aluminum spars that are part of the kit.

Thank you both!
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242