Lifting a 920

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Chris R
Your Country: England, South Coast

Lifting a 920

Post by Chris R »

Hi Can anyone remind me which way round the lifting cables go - shorter ones on back or front lifting eyes. Thanks
Chris R
Your Country: England, South Coast

Post by Chris R »

To answer my own question - longer ones at the front. At least now I'll know where to look for the answer in teh future !!
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

What does the cables look like?

Post by Christian »

Hi Chris

Are the lifting cables a 1 to 4 connection? All 4 cables are connected in one point, 2 long and 2 short - to get the center of gravity of the boat in the connection point?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: What does the cables look like?

Post by Double Horizon »

Christian wrote:Hi Chris

Are the lifting cables a 1 to 4 connection? All 4 cables are connected in one point, 2 long and 2 short - to get the center of gravity of the boat in the connection point?
Yes, joined by quick links. In my experience it doesn't succeed, and the boat sits bow-down while in the air. I changed mine for equal length load-rated flat lifting straps made of polyester. I use load-rated galvanized D-shackles at the ends. Now it hangs level.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Christian

Lifting square

Post by Christian »

Any experience using a "lifting square" in the crane and lift in the lifting eyes? My marina got a "square" to hold out the "belts" lifting regular boats. Think using the eyes would be better for the boat.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

If you're using a travelift, have them disconnect the straps and shackle directly to the lifting eyes.
The lift can adjust the distance between the forward and aft lifting points.
That's how I've had it done.
Double Horizon

Re: Lifting square

Post by Double Horizon »

Christian wrote:Any experience using a "lifting square" in the crane and lift in the lifting eyes? My marina got a "square" to hold out the "belts" lifting regular boats. Think using the eyes would be better for the boat.
Yes it is better to use the eyes. If you use straps it's important to tie off to the eyes anyway, so the boat can't roll in the slings. Unlike a monohull there is no weighted keel so the boat is very top-heavy.

Also, you should sling only the center hull. Never the amas.
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

Steve B. wrote:If you're using a travelift, have them disconnect the straps and shackle directly to the lifting eyes.
The lift can adjust the distance between the forward and aft lifting points.
That's how I've had it done.
Same here, but you should also tie the travelift lifting straps together with dyneema or spectra line so they can't spread as the boat is lifted and the angle of each strap becomes wider. You don't want a side load on the lifting eyes.
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

That's a good idea, but the factory lifting harness puts side loads on the eyes, just in a different direction.
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

The factory recommendation is to rotate the eyes so the angle of pull is somewhat aligned with the long dimension of steel that makes the eye, and the hole in the eye is perpendicular to the angle of pull. (I hope that's a clear description). That makes it less likely to bend the eye to one side.
Christian

Just an update

Post by Christian »

Bought 4 chains - max load 1,4T(metric) each length 1,5 m. from a company for pro lifting gear. Hooks did not fit in eyes. So I bought 4 shackles - max load 4T each.

Now it is so easy to lift her. I'll use the same length on all chains

Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Double Horizon wrote:The factory recommendation is to rotate the eyes so the angle of pull is somewhat aligned with the long dimension of steel that makes the eye, and the hole in the eye is perpendicular to the angle of pull. (I hope that's a clear description). That makes it less likely to bend the eye to one side.
I did that automatically, without even thinking about it.
I guess I should have mentioned it.

:wink: