I search a used Trailer or drawings to bild my own.

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
tsnre2
Your Country: Germany, Gifhorn/Hamburg

I search a used Trailer or drawings to bild my own.

Post by tsnre2 »

Hallo,
I seach an used streettrailer or the drawings to bild my own. May be here in nearest of North Germay is someone were I can measure the trailer?

Thank You

George
"In 20 Jahren wirst du mehr enttäuscht sein über die Dinge, die du nicht getan hast, als über die Dinge die du getan hast. Also löse die Knoten, laufe aus dem sicheren Hafen aus und erfasse mit deinen Segeln die Passatwinde" Mark Twain

DF 920 extreme
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

If you want a trailer where you can roll-on or off a yard dolly with a boat similar to what Quorning sells, I can't help.

If you want a trailer to use with a standard Quorning cradle, I can get dimensions and pictures from my setup.

Basically, you start with a standard galvanized or aluminum (what I have) trailer frame for 8.5-10 meter boat with capacity for ~3000+ kg.; 2 or 3 axles with brakes.

Then you bolt on the cradle properly centering the weight. You may need to move the axles to do that. Then you bolt on the bow support.

If you want to launch using crane, Quorning cradle with supports under both front and rear ama attachments works best and allows access to all bottom for maintenance and painting. If you plan to launch by floating off the trailer, you will need Quorning cradle with rear platform support behind the centerboard (this is what I have).

The simplest solution (and cheapest in the US) if you do not have weight limits is to buy a used 9-10 meter flat utility trailer the kind used to transport cars, small tractors and lawn equipment. Then you just put your cradle on top and tie it down with straps. The problem is a trailer like that is 1500 kg or more. Add the boat and cradle, and you will need a truck than can pull 4500 kg.

I specifically bought an aluminum trailer without any supports to minimize total weight so my car can pull it. My limit was 2800 kg that is specified for my car.
tsnre2
Your Country: Germany, Gifhorn/Hamburg

Post by tsnre2 »

Thank you very much,

Is it nessesary for long distance transport to have an trailer with rear plattform support behind the centerboard?

In Germany it is allowed to pull max. 3,5to behind an SUV, so I think I need a special trailer , build with steel is o.K. The width is allowed to 2,55meter

What do you think, when I folow your good idea to mount the orig. cradle on an used boattrailer, can I swim with the tri betwen the original cradle and slip it then? (In the marina we have an godd Ramp with an good angle to the water surface)
"In 20 Jahren wirst du mehr enttäuscht sein über die Dinge, die du nicht getan hast, als über die Dinge die du getan hast. Also löse die Knoten, laufe aus dem sicheren Hafen aus und erfasse mit deinen Segeln die Passatwinde" Mark Twain

DF 920 extreme
gminkovsky

Post by gminkovsky »

Is it nessesary for long distance transport to have an trailer with rear plattform support behind the centerboard? - No. Either type of cradle works.

In Germany it is allowed to pull max. 3,5to behind an SUV, so I think I need a special trailer , build with steel is o.K. The width is allowed to 2,55meter
- Steel trailer with cradle, boat, and all boating supplies will probably be more than 3.5 t. You will need aluminum which will save 500-600+ kg. All trailers will be less than 2.55 m, but you will need to remove the amas for travel.

What do you think, when I folow your good idea to mount the orig. cradle on an used boattrailer, can I swim with the tri betwen the original cradle and slip it then? (In the marina we have an godd Ramp with an good angle to the water surface) - according to quorning, for that you should use the cradle with rear platform. I think you can swim off the other cradle, but getting the boat to swim ONTO the other type of cradle would be very difficult. Also note that you will need extending tongue for the trailer to reach deep enough water. I calculated that I needed almost 3 m extension to keep my SUV from getting too deep into the water. If the ramp is very steep, you will need less.

Very important to compute the total weight of your setup. Make sure to include the weight of cradle, engine, straps, support beams, saw horses, ladders, mast raising kit, tools, spare tire, mast supports, packing materials, bedding, dinghy with oars and engine, fuel, water, kitchen stuff and food, etc.... Get exact weight of the trailer that you find, and if necessary take it to a scale and weigh it if you doubt. My aluminum trailer is only 900 pounds - 408 kg, before spare tire, bow support, retractable foot, tongue extension.... You get the idea.
Luc Bouchard
Your Country: Pointe-Calumet

Post by Luc Bouchard »

Hello
I have bough a aluminum twin axles boat trailer with custom made support under both front and rear ama (instead of using the shipping cradle)
I need to re-position my DF920 (or simply move the axles forward) on the trailer. It is too much tongue heavy. Where should the trailer wheel axles be in relation to the boat length in order to get a correct 10-15% of the total weight on the tongue ?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Luc Bouchard
Triangle
DF920 Racing #56
gminkovsky

Post by gminkovsky »

I just looked at my trailer. Without the boat on the trailer, I can only estimate that the end of the centerboard trunk is over the centerline between the 2 axles.

This is a compromise position where tongue weight is on the low side when the boat is folded and very reasonable when the amas are removed. I would prefer to have the boat even more forward (or the axles even more back) since I drive with the boat folded.

When the amas are removed for transport, depending on the trailer setup, they can be moved more forward or back to adjust tongue weight by ~50 kg or more... You can further adjust by emptying or filling the water and holding tanks, moving anchors to/from anchor compartment, moving stuff in main cabin/v-berth, and so on...