How to raise a capsized Dragonfly

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Anders B
Your Country: Denmark, Aarhus

How to raise a capsized Dragonfly

Post by Anders B »

Hi !
With relation to the new thread about the capsized dragonfly 28 i Denmark, I would like to know if there are anybody here which could share their knowledge about "how to raise a capsized Dragonfly (without destroying the boat)" .
I'm aware that fx. Corsair/Farrier has described how to do it, but I haven't seen anything about this subject in a Dragonfly manual !?
As can be seen in the following link, this is not the way to do it !
https://www.baadnyt.dk/nyheder/naar-ste ... rger-baade
best regards
Anders
Anders Brandt
DF 25 Smultronbris
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

One thing I would NOT do is allow the salvage crew to decide how to pick it up. The owner MUST supervise the workers. If you leave the scene it will end up in the hands of the insurance company and the salvage operators. They do not put the owner's best interests ahead of their own.

There is no single answer. It depends on the type of equipment available. If it is a crane that can lift, then what I would do:

1) secure control lines from aft end of amas to keep the boat under control when lifted
2) lift from bow cleats only
3) put the boat down gently on it's stern and use the control lines to help it come down upright
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

My guess is that if you lift a DF in the bow (centre hull) it'll be top heavy and turn mast down.
I Think best way with a crane available is:
1. Lift the boat from centre bow to release the mast top from the bottom.
2. Separate and save the rig from the boat first.
3. Fold one ama and pull/roll the boat around sideways around this folded ama.
DF800R, SWE-257
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I think you are right Stefan. I should have considered the rig.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200