Pulleys at mast, ama extension / retraction, etc

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Pulleys at mast, ama extension / retraction, etc

Post by cogniz »

The small pulleys scattered through the running gear (4 on the mast base) need replacing.
Anyone have a US source? Or at least dimensions? Are they a particular type of plastic?

Thanks again for the collective wisdom.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

If you mean the little fair-lead blocks that change direction of the line, they are common off-the-shelf blocks - look in defender or west marine catalog.

If you mean the sheaves where all lines come out from the mast and/or board, you are dealing with (probably) Fredrikson or Ronstan (who bought fredriskon) hardware. They will be EXPENSIVE and special order. Best price will be from Richard S.

If you figure out the sizes, you might be able to find a harken or lewmar substitute. Lewmar is probably the cheapest solution.

West, defender, and a bunch of other sailing supply places do carry various replacement sheaves, but you need exact sizes. Remove them, measure in mm, then search the catalogs.

The last time I checked to repair a fredrikson block, the part I needed couldn't cost more than $5. Ronstan's quote for the part was $65. I bought a brand new Lewmar block of similar size and load for less than $30!
cogniz

wow

Post by cogniz »

That's what I call killing my learning curve!!
Awesome info. Thank you.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
cogniz

Mast base sheaves...anyone replace them?

Post by cogniz »

Reviving this post as I've now got the boat out of the water for some much needed bottom paint and general maintenance.

A link to the sheave source would be great. The existing sheaves are chipped, different sizes, etc. So an actual link to replacement versions would be hugely helpful.

I browsed Defender but the metric version of these threw me...Thanks everyone!
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242