Totaled by the hurricane...Our beloved 800 is no more

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Totaled by the hurricane...Our beloved 800 is no more

Post by cogniz »

It is with extraordinary (and surprising to me and the family) pain I announce we lost our beloved SW800 in hurricane Matthew.

She was on an inner dock, secured and buffered well but that was not enough apparently. Theory is the broadside winds and very high water were the deciding factors. She had her mast snapped (she was not bare poles but all sails were wrapped heavily) in half, the roller furling wrapped around the dock piling (and shore power post) and she rolled over in place. It was the furling spar that held the boat to the dock and avoided her hitting anyone else.

After the diver cut the rigging free, the tow boat could not roll her over. So a hoist was used, she was pumped out, and then put on the trailer. They broke an ama in half during the process. She had numerous ama holes and cracks but first glance of the main hull showed no damage.

The insurance company has totaled her and I'm working on that now.

I will be selling the trailer, some sails and incidentals that were not on her when she flipped....so contact me if you are interested.

Once we get the insurance numbers nailed down I'll be back here for your collective wisdom on our next boat.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

This is terrible.

BTW, in preparation for a tropical storm, I take all sails down and remove everything from topsides. (I also add 3 additional mooring lines on top of the standard 3 that I normally use.) Rolled jib has a LOT of sail area. Main is not so bad if you are on a swing mooring. But broadside to the wind it also has a lot of windage. However, in a hurricane, I think it's a matter of luck... Ted lost his 1000 on the hard during Sandy. I always worry that another boat or barge breaks loose from the mooring and destroys half a fleet in the harbor.

Before Sandy, I hauled out my boat, but didn't have time to bring it home. I was lucky because I had a tree fall down exactly where I wanted to park the boat - what seemed to be the most protected spot on my property.

I may be selling my 920. This year I wasn't even able to put it in the water.

Also, TC is selling his 1000, but it is on the West Coast.
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Post by cogniz »

Great advice Gminkovsky.
Much hindsight to be sure. Next time I'll be armed with more perspective and wisdom!

We are certainly going to begin the hunt for the next boat. And a little more room is on the requirements list.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242