New to group, looking for input

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Keith Sneddon
Your Country: USA, Long Island

New to group, looking for input

Post by Keith Sneddon »

Hello,
My name is Keith Sneddon. My wife and I have gotten to the point in our lives where we think a boat would work for us. We live on the South Shore of Long Island. Our previous boat was a keelboat, and with the shallow waters of the Great South Bay, it was less than ideal. We are either going for a folding trimaran (DF 25/800) or a powerboat (gasp!). I am interested in knowing any experiences, good or bad, about keeping a Dragonfly in a slip folded, and would also appreciate any opportunity to see a boat up close and perhaps even go for a sail.
Thanks in advance.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

WE WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY ADVICE ON POWERBOATS! :)

Post by gminkovsky »

Welcome Keith,

I guess I am the most active Long Islander here in the forum. Although I sail in the Sound, I am familiar with South Shore - I sailed once with Tim P. from his house in Bay Shore to Shinecock Inlet and then into Peconic. I also sailed a beach cat in the Great South Bay in the 80's. After the cat, while my children were small, we had a powerboat for 3 years, and then moved to DF 920. I also sailed monos from 12 to 45 feet.

There is an 800 in Port Washington. The 3 friends who own it sail it year round. I know they read the forum and may reply. If not I can put you in touch with them. Tim P. in Bay Shore sailed a DF920 for many years, then had an 800 for a short time, then changed to 920 Hybrid. He also has a powerboat. So you can have both if you want... I don't know if Tim's boat is still in the water. My 920 has been on a trailer in my backyard since last fall :(.

Great South Bay is perfect for a multi. 15-20 kn every afternoon in the summer! Just deep enough for a DF.

If not Port Washington 800, you will probably have better luck seeing a Dragonfly in the water next spring. You just missed Anapolis boat show. The next one is probably Miami. Richard S (the US DF dealer) often brings a boat there as well.

There are a few larger boats in Connecticut (1200 and 35). There may be other 800, 920 and 28 around our area but I am not sure...

I always kept my boat on a swing mooring so I can't comment on keeping it folded at the dock. However, most Europeans in this forum keep their boats folded at the dock. If you read this forum (and you should read EVERYTHING) you will learn some tricks to prevent unwanted wear when the boat is folded every day. Also, Cogniz from Georgia had an intensive 1 year experience with an 800. I suggest you read his posts and maybe even talk to him (and he kept his boat at the dock until hurricane Matthew).
Keith Sneddon
Your Country: USA, Long Island

Post by Keith Sneddon »

Gminkovsky,
Thanks for the input. I'll dig into the rest of the forum at my first opportunity. I have seen Tim Palmer's DF out there on the bay from time to time (he is in Bayport, I am in Sayville), and I believe we have many common acquaintances. A look at that DF 800 in Port Washington would be fantastic. I'm a long time sailor (not that great, but doing it a while). I'm about to start the frostbite season in my dinghy, I did a Flying Dutchman Regatta a couple of weeks ago, and I've done some monohull big boat long and short racing as crew (1x ALIR, 1x Vineyard race), etc. Our previous big boat was a Catalina 27 that I bought cheap and took from a "floating camper" to a pretty nice example, but 4 ft. of draft in the bay was problematic, and it took way to long to get to the Ocean beaches. Not living right on the water on the South Shore, a slip is our only viable answer for getting any use out of the boat, as we think that one of the goals is evening sails, and any trailering time hit makes that scenario difficult.
Regards,
Keith Sneddon
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Since you almost know Tim, you should talk to him. He will tell you why he switched back to 920 from 800.

Keep in mind that both 800 and 920 draw more than 4 feet with board down. Of course, this does not prevent you from motoring or sailing downwind, and the board kicks up if you hit ground. The bay is mostly soft bottom so the board will be fine.

In comparison to Catalina 27, 800 and 920 will feel closer to a larger dinghy - FD comes to mind - but in a gust will accelerate like a beach cat or a modern skiff. (I didn't know that FD's are on LI. I've seen many Flying Scotts but not FD. It was a very popular class where I grew up in Europe in the 70's.)

I did ALIR 3 times in monos. I was planning to do it in my 920 with my son when he would turn 13-14. However, in my last ALIR, we were caught in a very bad storm and I came to a conclusion that a 920 would not have survived that kind of storm. I became extremely conservative sailor then and stopped racing long distance where weather becomes a factor.

Sailing at night is amazing. BUT - DF's are so fast that you may not see lobster/crab pots until too late!!! I've been caught on their lines many times. Suddenly the boat is stopped, the sails are full, but nothing is happening. The only way to free up is to pop both the board and the rudder! I also caught their buoys between the waterstay and ama!

If PW 800 guys do not post in the next couple of weeks, remind me and I will get you their contact info.