Control lines to centerboard

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
rgsson
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Control lines to centerboard

Post by rgsson »

Hello,

I am about to change the control lines to the centerboard. Does anyone knows how long lines I need? Is there a drawing on how the control lines goes from the coach roof to the centerboard attachments?

regards
Robert Gustavsson
920 #86 Greyhound
Robert Gustavsson
Stockholm, Sweden
920 #86 Greyhound
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

according to the manual, each line is 7m long 8mm diameter. the manual states that it is polyester double-braid but i know for a fact that it is Dyneema (my downhaul line failed).

I don't have first-hand experience replacing these lines but according to others, you need to remove table top and use a pair of small hands to reach the knots.
rgsson
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by rgsson »

Hello,

Thank you for reply. I will remove the centerboard for maintenance and replace the lines at the same time.
Robert Gustavsson
Stockholm, Sweden
920 #86 Greyhound
hein
Your Country: the Netherlands, Kraggenburg

Post by hein »

You do not need to remove the table top if you have the boat out of the water. It was recommended to me by the yard to leave the table in place to prevent possible leakages.
Lower the centreboard, take out the bolt and lift out the board. It is then easy to feed new lines through using the old line as a pilot.. Make sure to make the knots on the centreboard as small as you can and as close to the eye as possible, to prevent getting the line stuck between centreboard and casing.

The lines are 6.5 m long on the drawing. However, we found that for the uphaul this is enough, for the downhaul this is too short. I would recommend 6.5 - 7 m for the uphaul and 7.5 - 8 m for the downhaul.