chafing on mainsail reefing lines

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

chafing on mainsail reefing lines

Post by buckle.roger »

Hi all
The main reefing lines come up and out of the mast into a fixed block and on through the sail.
My problem is the line is chafing badly were it comes out of the fixed block as the run of the line is not good and the reefing line rubs heavely on the outer edge of the fixed block stainless mounting,

The fixed block appears to be in the wrong place to me, surely not.

I can see no fix to this either?

roger
Thomas Leitgeb
Your Country: Austria, Vienna

solution for mainsail reefing

Post by Thomas Leitgeb »

I had the same problem and I heard also from other sailors about this. But there is a very good solution that I have seen on a DF920 from Germany. Therefore you have to dismount the Aluminiumpart and than you have to cut some of the rib´s. I can sent you a foto of the finished part. Since that I never hade a problem and it works perfect. For contact: Thomas.leitgeb@sailact.eu
Thomas Leitgeb-SAILact
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Ref: Photo

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Please Thomas send it to me and I'll put it on the forum for all to see.

Bo
sjschweitzer815
Your Country: USA, Racine, WI

Reeling line blocks

Post by sjschweitzer815 »

I have a DF920 with 17year old reeling line blocks. Can anyone recommend a block size (working load) rating I should be looking for? I am using 9mm line.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I use 72mm lewmar synchro blocks with SWL ~2400 lbs (1100 kg) for all high load lines (preventer, reef, etc). My original Fredrickson blocks were replaced (under warranty) by 72mm ronstan with similar load.

The only high-load block that I have is for the main halyard. I really like Lewmar. They are cheap, well made, and available everywhere.