Shrouds

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Shrouds

Post by Christian »

Our shrouds/barberhaul are split in two lines when they reach the amas. The aft one is connected with a snap hook.

I have been told that this is for going down wind, easing the boom side and connecting it as an extra preventer to the boom. Leaving the shroud quite loose.

Is it so?
Does anyone use this?
What do you achieve with this?

I’m mostly sailing archipelago – with a lot of islands and boats – so I tack and gib quite often.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I believe that it is no longer recommended to use your adjustable backstay as a preventer. Especially bad if you forget to reconnect before you turn upwind or gybe.

In 2003 when I got my boat, the recommended preventer was a separate line with blocks and cleat.

The use is similar to boom vang as well as to prevent accidental gybe when going deep downwind. When going deep down, the traveller is all the way out, the main sheet is eased, and the preventer is tight.

The first few years I used it a lot to go as fast as I can. Now I am too lazy and want to sail with minimum amount of work in the cockpit.

However, it's a must if you are racing!