Leaking Ama Top Hatches

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
DF35-6
Your Country: UK, London

Leaking Ama Top Hatches

Post by DF35-6 »

My DF 35 was tending to take on a few buckets of water in the amas under heavy weather. I believe this to be via the top hatches. I replaced the ama seals with originals from Houdini Hatches and also tightened the hatch levers. This has helped, but it doesn't take much for one of the levers not to be closed properly or to work just a very little bit loose. Has anyone also experienced this? Any better solutions? I was thinking of replacing the levers with compression latches.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Ama Hatch Seals

Post by Steve B. »

If the DF35 hatches are similar to the DF1000, they have "O" rings on the hatch handle shafts and are easily replaced, and cheap from the hardware store.
DF35-6

Re: Ama Hatch Seals

Post by DF35-6 »

Steve B. wrote:If the DF35 hatches are similar to the DF1000, they have "O" rings on the hatch handle shafts and are easily replaced, and cheap from the hardware store.
Thanks Steve. Was it your experience that these were the cause of water ingress?
DF35-6

Re: Ama Hatch Seals

Post by DF35-6 »

Steve B. wrote:If the DF35 hatches are similar to the DF1000, they have "O" rings on the hatch handle shafts and are easily replaced, and cheap from the hardware store.
Thanks Steve. Was it your experience that these were the cause of water ingress?
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Leaking Hatches

Post by Steve B. »

We bought our boat when it was five years old, and it had spent one year in Mexico.

The first time it rained, we had water in all the ama compartments.
The "O" rings were in several pieces and were easily replaced.
Now, the only water intrusion comes when we open the hatches and a bit of rain water might drain off the hatch cover, or if we place something inside which is wet.
In other words, the replacement "O" rings stopped all water intrusion.