No control under wind!

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

No control under wind!

Post by Christine »

We've just bought our first Dragonfly 800, and proudly put her in the water this weekend. Trouble is, wind picked up while we were going into the marina, and though I made a very valant attempt at getting her into the correct berth, the wind had other ideas and we were swept back and pinned against the yachts across the way.

Obviously the outboard didn't work in reverse (kept kicking up), and we ended up going in sideways to another berth much to the disgust of the owner who was moored there.

Two questions, is it better to go into a marine with wings in or out when the wind is up? And how controllable are these boats with winds in the region of 15mph in a marina? I'm hoping once we've sorted out the outboard it will be better. :oops:
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Christine;
Was the centerboard / dagerboard down? That makes a big difference.
Also - I have learned that in general they don't back-up very well! Especially in a breeze!
When my boat goes in from the lift they always put it in backwards - so I have to back out about 300 yds down a narrow 30' wide channel. I have tried both leaving the boat closed and open. Both with the same result.

All I can tell you is to go at it real slow. And do not oversteer. And practice, practice, practice.

You should be able to back the boat up a realatively short distance, 50' with out any problems.

Try making some K-turns, small 360's forward and reverse, to get the feel for the handling of the boat.
This is important in the advent of an emergency, you have to know what you can and can't do. The only way to find out is practice.

You also said the motor was kicking up in reverse..... make sure it is locked down. That should solve that problem.
On the 800 - you can turn the boat with both the engine and the rudder. My old 25 I could "turn on a dime" using both together.

Hope that helps.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Christine

Thanks Ted

Post by Christine »

Thanks Ted, will practice practice practice (once it stops snowing on the South Coast of England! :o ).

I need to look at why the lock doesn't work on the outboard, should lock automatically, but obviously that's not happening.

Thanks for your reply Ted, Best wishes

Christine
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Check on the engine, my old one you had to manually lock in place. There should be a little plastic piece that you have to turn 180 degrees. Try to find a manual to download if you don't have one.
I just replaced this part last year on the engine on my dink. Same problem, wouldn't stay down when I tried to lock it in place.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Control under motor power

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I can only tell from the 920 but the first thing I did when I got mine was to do a lot of practice with the engine outside the harbour in calm conditions. I found it needed a lot of control to avoid 'over steering' when reversing. Sometimes less power gave more and better control. But sometimes it needed swift action, changing between forward and revers with enough revs to control the situation. I agree, you can turn her on a dime
Then I tried it in more windy condition till I managed to enter my berth in a force 6 (with some luck!) single-handed.

I also remember one day when I cruised up and down the coast in front of the harbour to wait for the wind to subside because I knew I could not single-handed enter the harbour safely. Only Patience saved the day (and the boat)!

NEVER NEVER forget to put your centreboard down before you get into harbour! Otherwise you have no control over the boat at all. It happened to me once when somebody released the down haul of the centreboard without me noticing it. Afterwards I've developed a (mental) checklist before entering harbour to avoid this rather embarrassing situation.

I'm sure every sailor can tell a story or two of the moments when pleasure turned into worry and only calmness prevented a disaster. So, Christine, nothing better than progressive practice to prepare for it.

On this note a little bit of advice to all newcomers to the DF:

When you think about reefing, DO IT. It is always better on a multihull to have a little bit less canvass than too much.

Practice "man over board" and "heave to" regularly and then, when you need it it will work.

Happy sailing and don't forget the life jacket for everybody, even the dog!

P.S. We even have had some snow flakes and some hail in Penzance (Cornwall, Uk) today at winterly 6 degree Celsius. Somebody should tell them up there it's springtime!
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

Christine
Wind will turn all boats 90 degrees to the wind if you don’t do anything. There are three things avoiding this:
1) Speed
2) Grip in the water
3) Sails
So move with some speed. If you stop and wait the wind will turn your boat.
Keep centreboard down in the water – amas out to get more grip. Sails are usually not in the question if you are trying to get into a place in heavy down wind. If you are going up wind the problem is less, it is “just” the question of having enough power to keep the direction. Side wind will at least not turn the boat - but move you sideways.

So make sure the reverse works, and the lock that shall keep the engine down. Plan your moves so you don’t need to stop and think and give new orders to your crew.
Christian
Christine

Thanks

Post by Christine »

Thanks to everyone that replied. I've found the bit that's missing on the outboard to stop it kicking up when reversing, and that's now on order.

Just waiting for the weather to practice, practice, practice.