Attachment of stays at masttop

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Nille
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Attachment of stays at masttop

Post by Nille »

I have a feeling that my forestay is a bit too long. At the attachment point on the mast the sidestays and frontstay are mounted together on the pearshaped quicklink but the forestay is attached with another ordinary quicklink instead of using the end eye of the stay directly.

Since I bought the boat second hand I do not know if this is the default setup or if a previous owner wanted the stay longer and thus added the extra quicklink.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Sounds like the attachment on the mast hound was not correct.
If i remember correctly, the forestay was connected to the center of the main shackle the was connected to the mast hound. There was no shackle to shackle connection. If you have an extra shackle in there that will add an extra couple of inches.
You can also try to take up on the turnbuckle in the roller furler.
Adjust the rake like you would do on a beach cat, to much weather helm, bring it forward a bit, lee helm....drop it back a bit. You always want a little weather helm.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Nille
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Nille »

Thanks for the fast response!

Ok, I think I will try to remove the link when I get the chance and see what happens. Chances are that the former owner put it there for a reason since I do not feel the boat as being unbalanced at all.