9.9 hp ok?

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
toby123
Your Country: USA,Annapolis

9.9 hp ok?

Post by toby123 »

Just wondering what most people use for power on their 800's. I believe 8 hp 2 strokes are the norm, but I have an opportunity to buy a 9.9 2 stroke johnson for a pretty good price. I'm not sure of the weight yet, but I'm thinking it is in the mid 70's lbs. Thanks, Dan T
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

In my opinion, I would stay with the 8HP - The 9.9 weighs a lot more, you would need to replace the motor bracket at a minimum, maybe even the backing plate.
The 8HP I had on mine always moved the boat real well.
Keep in mind the "KISS" principal, no use reinventing the wheel.
If you can find an older 8 in your area (long shaft), you can most likely pick it up for around $600.00. Look on Ebay. That will give you an idea.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

Hi Ted
Just curious, what speed do you get a DF800 to do with 8hp? ( I survive with 4 hp and that makes 6 knots)
Christian
lercherlsepp
Your Country: Austria

Re: 9.9 hp ok?

Post by lercherlsepp »

Important is the weight of a outboard so far astern of the boat. The buoancy of the 800 is in general quite limited. I believe, a 8hp 2stroke is the optimum for achieve upwind in heavy condition and avoid to much draft astern. I bought my 800 with a Honda 15hp 4stroke weighting >50 kg, which was definitively to much. Now I have a Yamaha 8hp 2stroke weighting 27 kg, which is strong enough for almost every condition. The 8hp 4stroke weights 37 kg, same as the 9.9hp. The 2stroke-engines are no more available as new in the EU (according actual EU-regulations), but most of the dealers have still 2strokes on stock (if you ask them). Another problem could be the standard-outboard-bracket, which is limited for 8 hp at the 800.
Last edited by lercherlsepp on Fri 23 May 08, 0:06, edited 1 time in total.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

Thanks, but what about the speed? /Christian :?:
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

My max speed with the 8hp was around 7.5 knots. This all depends on how rough the water is and how fast the current is. The rougher the water, the slower you will go. Current can work fore, or against you.
Also - a clean bottom (hull) is a must.
Hope that gives you what you were looking for.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA