Top of 800 mast bends ?

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
choppy
Your Country: south coast, UK

Top of 800 mast bends ?

Post by choppy »

Hard on wind & probably a little overpowered admittedly; the mast above backstays was visably bent to leeward - is this correct ?
1st reef cured it.
Thanks
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

No, I do not think that is "normal".
Try adjusting the diamond wires on the mast tighter.
Use a LOOS gauge to make sure both sides are adjusted equally.
More tension on the backstays also. Search in the forums on how to adjust your backstay tension for the wind you are sailing in.
Good luck.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
choppy

Post by choppy »

Thanks -I didnt like the look of it ! The back stays were @ middle recommended setting (ie on winch by hand) - the diamond stays are tight (firm but not bar tight) will experiment
Anders B
Your Country: Denmark, Aarhus

Post by Anders B »

Yes, the top will always bend but there are a lot of parameters which influence on the bending. Another user here wrote that You should use more backstay - You can never prevent the mast to bend to leeward above backstays by using the backstays ! This could in fact worse the situation since there would be more vertical pressure making the whole mast bend in a "funny" way ! Since the 800 has a rotating mast it's more complex than on the other types.
I asume that You already have the diamond wire tension reasonably tight - having the backstay medium in medium wind conditions try to rotate the mast from 90 (mast rudder pointing to rear of front ama)-> 30 (mast rudder pointing to rear of rear ama) and observe how the mast is bending - in 90 no bending to leeward but bending aft and the main is flattening - in 30 not much aft bending and the main is deeper but more leeward bending will occur.
On my DF800 R we have a 30 square meter square top main, and the mast top does a lot bending as described above !
So, the conclusion is: Take it easy, its normal that the 800 top will go to leeward when the rotation angle is little - but try the above experiments yourself !
Anders Brandt
DF 25 Smultronbris
choppy

Post by choppy »

Thanks Anders - I heard from surveyor that this bend is normal - He put forwad jumpers above his backstay & that cured it !! Also experimenting with rotation & diamond stays have minimalised it as you say - will cary on.