Mast top extra spreaders

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Mast top extra spreaders

Post by Mika Harju »

I am about to buy a new square top high tech main sail. I am a little bit worried about the stiffness of the mast top section. The mast might be too flexible to hold the leach of the sail tight when the sheet is tight.
The new sail be about 45 sqm of sail area, and the top batten will be about 1.5m long. My boat is DF1000R with extra tall, rotating aluminium mast with two pairs of spreaders.
Now I would like to get more information about these:
1-Who is the manufacturer of the mast?
2-Do I need these spreaders?
3-Has anyone done this before?
4-Any ideas of dimensions and positions for these spreaders?
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Mast top extra spreaders

Post by tpaliwoda »

Mika:
I also have the taller rig with a square top sail. My mast has the triple diamond wires on the mast, plus an additional "jumper" on the front section of the mast.
The manufacture I believe is Selden.

Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Mast top extra spreaders and square top main

Post by Mika Harju »

Hi Ted
Few questions about your rig and sails:
1-How big is your main?
2-Are you happy with your square top sail?
3-Does it tack properly in light air? I mean does the battens keep the top of the sail in wrong side?
4-Who has made your sail?
5-How many battens do you have?
6-How many reefs do you have?
7-What is the material of your sail?
8-Is it difficult to remove the diagonal batten when packing the sail into the Lazy-Bag?
9-Has the square top main increased you boat speed? How much?
10-Could you please send as much as possible information about your rig.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Mika:
See below, I have answered these the best I can.

1-How big is your main? I believe it is around 500 square feet = 48 Sq meters
2-Are you happy with your square top sail? Great in light air, the extra area up top does the trick on those light air days. When it starts to blow, the top "opens up" in the bigger puffs.
3-Does it tack properly in light air? I mean does the battens keep the top of the sail in wrong side? Most of the time it goes over by its self, other times it needs a little help.
4-Who has made your sail? Saber Sails in Fort Walton Florida, USA
5-How many battens do you have? I want to say there are seven or eight.
6-How many reefs do you have? Two, any more than that it is time to do something other than sailing!
7-What is the material of your sail? Pentex
8-Is it difficult to remove the diagonal batten when packing the sail into the Lazy-Bag? It is not difficult to remove it, but I wish I was about 6" taller when it comes to putting it in!
9-Has the square top main increased you boat speed? Cant really tell, because my old sail was a square top also. How much?
10-Could you please send as much as possible information about your rig.
Randy Smyth did some great designs for this boat about 10 years ago.
Sabre used to build the sails for Randy and I do believe they still have the same patterns. I do believe Elvstrom is making a square top, and he should be local to you. As for the rig, the previous owner had a couple of mishaps with the rig. That is why it is so beefed up now. May be a little overkill, but it is still right-side-up!

If you are thinking about the square top main, also think about the genoa,
I went down in size to a 110% blade. Works real nice. We also eliminated that vertical batten in the sail and it furls much better. We cut it lower to the deck, almost a deck sweeper now.

Sorry I didn't have more pictures of the rig, just never take any pictures of the top of the mast. The one I sent you is about six years old.

Best regards.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA