backstays and amas

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
benard
Your Country: Bruxelles,

backstays and amas

Post by benard »

Anybody knows about tenson you have to put in backstays because the amas (floats) move up and down about 1cm but it seems that it is not ok but about water stays how to ajust it ?
I am going to sail during 10 days I am not sure to read yours answers before ten days but thanks ,andre
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

tension

Post by Double Horizon »

Your question is not clear to me but I hope this answers:

1) Tension on backstays -- use no more tension than you can apply using just one arm on the winch. (If you are a weight-lifter don't use all your strength). :wink:

NEVER tension the leeward backstay, even if it appears to be too loose. You can take up the leeward slack ONLY by increasing the windward tension.

2) Adjusting water stays -- with the boat on land, extend the amas all the way and the waterstays should have no slack, but still loose enough so you can still move them slightly with your hand by pulling sideways at the mid-point. You should be able to open the amas all the way forward (by pushing) without using the winches. If you feel strong resistance to opening all the way, loosen one-half turn and try again. Forward and aft stays should be adjusted to about the same tension, judging by pulling sideways at the mid-point with your hand.

In making judgment about tension while you are doing this, remember that there is nothing supporting the amas so gravity is pulling them down, and you do not want to add a lot of downward additional tension while the boat is at-rest -- you only want the water-stays to limit and minimize the amas travel upward while the boat is in the water.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200