Water line vs dirt line

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Water line vs dirt line

Post by Christian »

Hi this spring I noticed - the dirtline on the amas is higher than the painted water line - this is probably due to moring folded. When the 800 is folded - the amas are pressed down into the water.

Any ideas? Paint the water line higher on the amas? Any opinions? Will that look bad when unfolded? How have you handled the dirt line?
/ Christian
Nille
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Nille »

Or maybe your boat is weighed down by too much stuff!

I have my boat lying in Nacka too (fisksätra) and I have to do some repairs to my rudder as well. Maybe we should do a joint effort? My email is nille@bfrex.se

Regarding the centerboard, the best way is probably to lift the boat with a crane and let the board down, alternatively to put the main hull on the ground (carefully) and tilt it to let the board out. The board can also be inspected by detaching the cabin table. I have never done that but would guess that the other methods are easier when the boat is not in the water.
Tanel
Your Country: Estonia, Kuressaare

Post by Tanel »

Hi Christian!

We had same problem :( , but after some investigating I found solution. Solution against "dirt line" was abrasive wax or toilet detergent :) .
The wax was very time-consuming but it works. The better and easier way was detergent :) .
In Est we have old Soviet legacy and this is "SANIIT" which is also toilet detergent and this works like on commercial. Just sparge, disperse and rinse whit a lot fresh water.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Update

Post by Christian »

Hi

A small update on the cleaning of amas business.

I decided to go for repainting the water line. Cleaned one ama and copied the dirt line by measuring the dirt line on the dirty ama and putting tape pieces as marks on the clean ama. Then I taped the new water line. The line looked ok, so I cleaned the first ama and did the process in the other way. And then I did all the paint work. The new line goes high in the aft and meets the old line 1/3 from stem.

Now have I been sailing with the new line one summer – and the spring cleaning, rubbing and waxing of amas was much faster. So it was a good move.

/ Christian
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

On my 920, the dirt line on the main hull was above the water line and above the bottom paint (my boat is always moored in open position). I raised the bottom paint by about 10 cm (4 inches). Now nothing sticks and is very easy to clean with a power washer at the end of the season. It still looks good - the paint level is about the same as on amas.