Square Top Main

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Walter Siebold
Your Country: Houston, Texas

Square Top Main

Post by Walter Siebold »

I am considering new sails. For the main I would like a square top. Can the mast handle the extra load. In the F-27 boats they add a secondary shroud from the the shackle were the running backstay adjustent attaches to the shroud (cruising version) all the way to the top of the mast. Or should I change the running backstays similar to the racing version.

I noticed that there are lots of DF800 with square mains. What are your experience with the change from pin top to square top.

Walter
DF800SW Nr. 194
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

The square top main is the way to go! On my old 25 I replaced the old sails with square-tops designed by Randy Smyth. The difference was like night and day!
With the new sails the boat could do wind speed +1 knot up to about 8 knots of wind.
In heavier air the top of the sail was designed to twist off in gusts.
Get in touch with the guys at Sabre Sails in Florida, and tell them what you are looking for. They make a great product (I do believe they used to make some of Randy's sails for him) at a fair price.
They just made me a new set for my 1000 last year - square top, Pentex fabric. Real sweet set of sails.

As for the additional stays - I never had any problems with the standard rigging on either boat. Did you check their user forum why they are doing this. They usually have a lot of inforamtion on anything anyone ever tried, good or bad.
Email me with any further questions.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
solei
Your Country: Netherlands

Post by solei »

I have also renewed my sails and chose a square top sail. have it made in such a way my main sail and jib sail are both 10% bigger now.
much better performance in light winds.
lercherlsepp
Your Country: Austria

Re: Square Top Main

Post by lercherlsepp »

Walter Siebold wrote:I am considering new sails. For the main I would like a square top. Can the mast handle the extra load. In the F-27 boats they add a secondary shroud from the the shackle were the running backstay adjustent attaches to the shroud (cruising version) all the way to the top of the mast. Or should I change the running backstays similar to the racing version.

I noticed that there are lots of DF800 with square mains. What are your experience with the change from pin top to square top.

Walter
Since last year I have a SquareTopMain from UK-Halsey (TapeDrive Silver), which works well. The only thing You should care, is, that the leech goes astern and the reefingpoints dont have any more tolerance. Thats why I will extend the boom by appr. 7 cm to achieve enough reeftension in the sailfoot.
solei

Post by solei »

Thats why I will extend the boom by appr. 7 cm to achieve enough reeftension in the sailfoot.

I did not have that problem at all. Should not be necessary. Just ensure your reef holes are well placed.
solei

Post by solei »

Thats why I will extend the boom by appr. 7 cm to achieve enough reeftension in the sailfoot.

I did not have that problem at all. Should not be necessary. Just ensure your reef holes are well placed. :wink:
dozouville
Your Country: Portugal

Post by dozouville »

Hi,
does anybody have experience of a square top main for DF 800 Racing?
Laurent
Ultradry
Your Country: France, La Trinite sur Mer/Morbihan

Square Top Main Sail

Post by Ultradry »

Solei,
You reported speed above 20 knots! You got a good sailmaker! Could you detail the specifications and dimensions? In France.....?
Regards
Philippe
Nille
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

squaretop

Post by Nille »

I had a very nice square-top mainsail made for my boat by North Sails here in Stockholm. I think the plans for it should be available through their network at your local NS-loft.

Good Luck!