Exhaust Outlet For Trumatic E 2400 Heater

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Roger Ferrall
Your Country: Longford, Ireland

Exhaust Outlet For Trumatic E 2400 Heater

Post by Roger Ferrall »

I have a Trumatic E 2400 gas heater fitted to the 920 which I bought last year and I wonder could I change the exaust outlet from the port hand side (just above the water line) to the transom?
That way one could use the heater while the boat is in motion, or is there a good reason for having it there?

Roger Ferrall
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Re: Exhaust Outlet For Trumatic E 2400 Heater

Post by Jacob Blom »

Roger Ferrall wrote:I have a Trumatic E 2400 gas heater fitted to the 920 which I bought last year and I wonder could I change the exaust outlet from the port hand side (just above the water line) to the transom?
That way one could use the heater while the boat is in motion, or is there a good reason for having it there?

Roger Ferrall
My Trumatic dealer told me that the maximum length for the exaust is 1 meter. The distance between the transom and the heater (in front of the aft bulkhead) is too big.
Roger Ferrall

Trumatic Heater

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Thank you for your reply Jacob; I wonder could I move the heater unit further aft so the exhaust would not then be longer than 1 metre?
Maybe there is a reason for this too?

Regards,
Roger.
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Re: Trumatic Heater

Post by Jacob Blom »

Roger Ferrall wrote:Thank you for your reply Jacob; I wonder could I move the heater unit further aft so the exhaust would not then be longer than 1 metre?
Maybe there is a reason for this too?

Regards,
Roger.
I think it is possible to place the heater in the compartment behind the bulkhead, but the heater, gaspipe, etc. can be damaged easily by water or lugage in this compartment. I don’t know if it’s a problem for the boats construction to make more or bigger holes in the bulkhead.
If you place the heater in front of the bulkhead or aside the sliding locker you only need one hole in the bulkhead for the exhaust. Here the heater is better protected against water- and other damage. If possible you should lead the exhaust high and back down before mounting it to the through-hull duct, to prevent seawater coming in. Always close the exhaust outside the hull before you go sailing!!!!

Regards,
Jacob
Roger Ferrall

Trumatic Heater

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Thank you for your advice Jacob I will review tha situation over the winter months when it will be easier to work on the boat.
Reards,
Roger.
Draken
Your Country: Sweden, Vaxholm

Re: Trumatic Heater

Post by Draken »

I am going to install a Trumatic heater in my 920X this winter. Assume that somewhere on the port side is good (to include heating in the bathroom).
Any ideas on where to place it??
Roger Ferrall

Fitting Trumatic Heater

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Draken,

The port hand side is fine but you cannot use the heater while sailing.
See Jacob Blom's reply above.
The problem is that it is recommened to have the exhaust pipe no more than 1 metre long. If you could proctect the unit then it would be better to mount it in the rear compartment and lead the exhaust out throuth the transom, that way you could have the heater on while moving.

Regards,

Roger.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Ardic furnace in my DF1000

Post by Steve B. »

I have an Ardic in my DF1000 with the exhaust pipe going out the starboard side just about at the cockpit deck height.

The pipe loops up under the cockpit coaming and back down about 8 inches to the thruhull which has no shutoff.

The boat has sailed in relatively big stuff (10 foot waves) in Mexico and the Pacific Northwest gales with never any damage to the heater.

It seems to me the aft quarter is a more protected spot than the transom.

Steve B.
Draken
Your Country: Sweden, Vaxholm

Re: Trumatic heater - Exhaust lengt

Post by Draken »

I found on the Truma homepage www.truma.com that they specified the max length of the Exhaust pipe to be 2 m vertical - deck fitting and 1,5 m horizontal - side fitting.

I would prefer not to put the heater too far aft - I do not like the weight there. The best would be to place in in the toilet, both from weight and heating point of view. I would also like to have air into the bed in the front. there is bad ventilation there otherwise.

Anyone tried putting any heater somewhere in the cabin or front on starbord side?