Repair / replace tramp netting

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
choppy
Your Country: south coast, UK

Repair / replace tramp netting

Post by choppy »

Just started winter lay up & have a small area of the trampoline (approx 2cms circle) where the outer (White) surface of netting has worn away exposing the fibre beneath. This also looks a little worn/frayed but this might just be nature of the fibre. - Anyone know how repairable this is ? (Uk based)
Thanks
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Worn area on net

Post by Double Horizon »

The way you describe the wear, it sounds like abrasion. There are vinyl paints made for coating inflatable boats, and you may be able to find one that is a suitable white color.

If your nets are more than 5 years old, it is also a good idea to have them re-stitched. It is usually the stitching at the edges that fails first, due to ultraviolet degradation. A sailmaker can do it. They should use UV-stable thread made of polyester (Gore-Tex thread is even better, but I have been told it is difficult to work with, and expensive).
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Tramp repairs

Post by tpaliwoda »

I agree with Larry, as a matter of fact I just got mine back yesterday from Sunrise Yacht Products. The fabric is still in good shape but the fabric that held the bolt rope to the tramp material was shot.
They replaced all the bolt rope for me and put a patch or two on some of the worn areas. It sure beats the cost of buying new ones.

I would be very hestitant about sending them to a sail marker though. I went down that road once before, trying to get them restiched. That was a waste of time and money. I should have just gone to Sunrise in the first place. I think if you send them to a shop that specializes in building tramps you will get a better deal.

You can check out Sunrise at http://www.multihullnets.com/main.htm
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Tramp repairs

Post by Mika Harju »

Is it difficult to remove nets from DF1000? How to do it?
Mine is already stored for winter and it is folded.
www.yacht-netze.de is one possibility in Europe, are there any others?
Their price for new ones is about 1 500 euros.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

It is real easy to take them off. You will have to open the ammas just a bit to slide the bolt ropes off the point where they attach to the hull. Take a couple of pictures prior to doing it so you will know how to put them back on.

The only real pain is opening the ammas to put them back on again. Takes a little muscle, but it works.

You may want to check out Sunrise for new tramps, they quoted me approximately $1900 USD to make new ones.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
choppy
Your Country: south coast, UK

Post by choppy »

Ok thanks everyone Ill see what is available in UK that is similar - worst case will use pvc or hyperlon patch glued top & bottom which will stop any more wear / or damage spreading & I guess would add some strength.

Thanks again - Chris