Outboard set up

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

Outboard set up

Post by Christine »

I've viewed a Dragonfly 800 with outboard, but no auxilary petrol tank. How are other poeple's outboard's set up, do you have the auxillary petrol tanks on board? Do you have a connection between the outboard and rudder so it turns when stearing?

I would love to hear how other people have outboards set up.

Best wishes

Christine

:D
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

When I had a 25, the tank was down below in a storage are. The fuel line ran up through the rear bulkhead to the engine.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Nille
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Nille »

same here. The locker under the cockpit should be ventilated and have a connection for fuelage. I have not connected the tiller and motor and do not think it is neccesary. I only turn the engine for steering in really tight situations.
Niko
Your Country: Switzerland, Zurich Area

Post by Niko »

Petrol tank. We have a 20 l tank on the platform behind the cockpit. As a reserve, we have a second 10 l tank stored in the cockpit locker. 20 l are for example needed to cross Kiel Canal (length approx. 100 km/54 sm, with our 8 HP two-stroke Yamaha, speed 4,5-5 kn).
Except Kiel Canal, this is possibly to much, as all of us know: with a DF 800 the motor is usually only needed to leave and enter the harbour :-). On the other hand, on longer trips a full petrol tank is reassuring.
I have a kickboard in the cockpit locker. If we don't have a gas station directly at the harbour, we put both tanks on the kickboard. This way, we can refuel all 30 l very comfortable even if the gas station is kilometers away. Surprisingly, the tanks don't fall off the kickboard -- they fit perfectly.

Connection between outboard and rudder. We have that. Similar to the DF 920, it has a working angle of about +/- 45°. To maneuver in the harbour, +/- 90° are of course better -- it enables the DF 800 to turn around its own axis.
In other words, we dont't use use the connection in the harbour. I think it's helpful if we have to motor straight over a long distance (which is very seldom), especially with autopilot. The autopilot then steers both rudder and outboard. One can steer the boat with a fingertip - and it is a bit faster, approx. +0,1-0,2 kn. Pulling up the centerboard brings another +0,2 kn.
From my experience, a connection on the DF 800 is nice to have, but not necessary.

Niko
DF 800/279