Compare and contrast sailing Farrier/Corsair trimarans with

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
pmg2001
Your Country: US, MA

Compare and contrast sailing Farrier/Corsair trimarans with

Post by pmg2001 »

I am considering moving up from an F/C242 (24 foot length foldable trimarran designed by Ian Farrier built by Corsair) to a Dragonfly 1200 and am wondering about others' experiences going from Farrier/Corsair trimarans to Dragonflys. I recognize the size jump will be a big factor in this change as well. Some have suggested that the Dragonflys are a lot less lively/responsive and won't sail well in light air.

Thanks in advance for any and all persoectives.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

You are going from a Yugo to a Rolls Royce! There will be no fair comparison. Nothing compares to the comfort of the 1200. The speed should be a little better. The boat won't heel as far as the 24 did. Light air performance should be equal seeing all the more sail area you can carry.
Who's boat did you buy?, there are only a handful here in the US.
If you are ever in the NYC area look me up.
Best of luck with your new toy.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Mal
Your Country: Wales

Farrier vs Dragonfly sailing

Post by Mal »

I presently own/sail a DF920, and before that owned an F27. I think it is fair to say that both types are a delight to sail;- their respective designers can be proud of the sailing machines that they have spawned.

I would estimate that my DF920 has very similar performance to the F27, so would guess that an F31 would probably be a little quicker than the Cruising 920. However, the DF interior and accomodation are vastly superior to F27/31, and I am more than happy to sacrifice a smidgin of speed to sail in a boat with a proper 'yacht' interior, rather than a carpet lined plastic moulding. Of course, an Extreme might be as quick as a Farrier, and still have the good accomodation. I would bow to the greater knowledge of the racing boys on that one!

As the other contributor mentions, the DF sails flatter than an F boat, and so probably lessens the feeling of drama when sailing quickly.

I think that at first glance the F boat folding system looks more professional;- mainly because of the lack of wires. However, in practice, I find the DF system means less work cleaning down the outside faces of floats. Also, coming alongside in a folded DF is safer for the crew, with a proper deck to stand on, rather than a curved/slippery float side.

Actually folding the floats on my 920 is harder work than it was on the F boat, but that is a small price to pay for the advantages outlined in the previous paragraph.

I think both types flex more than we might expect;- I suppose that it is close to impossible to design a folding tri with anything like the rigidity possible in a non-folding design.

The quality of fittings used on the DF is really good;- the mainsail tackle is better than that on the F27, and although a bigger sail, is much easier to raise and manage. The 920 is the first multi that I have owned on which everything works as it is meant to, from folding berths to mainsheet tackles. (This is my 5th multi).

If I were to ever buy another Tri; it would be a Dragonfly.

Happy sailing!

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

re: Compare and contrast sailing Farrier/Corsair trimarans w

Post by gminkovsky »

I have a DF920. I've sailed on F28 and DF1000. I also had a few opportunities to sail against F boats in Long Island Sound. On a few different occasions I sailed against F24. In all conditions DF920 outsailed and outpointed F24, including in very light airs. In 10-12 KN of wind, 2 able-bodied sailors in F24 tried really hard to overtake my boat that was helmed by my 10-year old (at that time) son while I was too lazy to work the sheets. I've sailed my boat in winds decreasing from 7-8 down to 0. I usually lose interest when boat speed drops below 2, but the boat will still sail with the wind in 2-3 Kn range. With the screacher, my boat will sail at wind speed in light air. However, in an F-boat, it is easier to get the winward ama out of the water in light air, and the boat will feel more agile. F31's are always faster than my 920. Sailing on DF920 (and up) will be dramatically dryer than on F24. Also, F24 are often sailed as sport boats - hiking out on windward ama, spray, excitement. On DF, especially larger one, you will feel like in a big boat that is completely flat. You will feel very secure and comfortable in the cockpit WITHOUT any need to hike out.