Sailing with Jib (genoa) only

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Sailing with Jib (genoa) only

Post by gminkovsky »

Usually, my DF920 does not sail well upwind without the main - there is too much lee helm. It is impossible to tack if the wind is strong or if there is any wave action, and I have to resort to gybing to change tacks.

Recently I sailed with my son in very gusty conditions: 7-22 knots. We did not want to deal with heavily reefed main, so we sailed with jib only. As we were nearing a racing fleet, I lowered the outboard engine ready to start it if needed. I noticed dramatic improvement in boat handling: the helm became reasonably balanced and we were able to tack easily as well as sail close-hauled.

It appears that the shape and size of the lower unit and skeg add just enough underwater area to increase the effectiveness of the rudder. I still had to keep the rudder a little bit off center, but the boat kept its course.

I would raise the engine on downwind legs to improve speed by about 1/2 knot.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Sailing upwind with genoa only?

Post by Double Horizon »

George you should raise the main. Balancing helm by dragging the engine (or drogue) is hardly the best sailing, my friend :?

That might be a good heavy-weather tactic, but not upwind and is not necessary in only 7-22 knots of wind, as you described. You will sail faster and happier with a balanced sail plan, reefed as needed, especially upwind. The only time to sail a dragonfly with genoa-only is deep-reaching or dead-downwind in strong winds. (In that event I recommend using the main halyard as a topping lift, in combination with the main sheet, to help take strain off the top-shrouds.)
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

George:
I agree with Larry, raise the main, throw a reef in it, or sail with a reef in the genny.
I always sail with my kids, and anyone that knows me will tell you I am always on the cautious side when it comes to sailing in 20+ conditions.
I usually reef the genny a bit, then if that is not enough I will go for the first reef in the main. Any more than that, and it is time go back to the mooring and go fishing.
The important thing is to keep the boat balanced, the rudder and centerboards will kick up if you hit something, your motor will just go bang! and break.
Most of all keep it safe and fun for the kids and you will never be looking for crew.

Have a great season.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
gminkovsky

Post by gminkovsky »

Larry and Ted,
You are both absolutely right! And I usually try to have a properly balanced sail plan. I was merely recording my observation (and that was preceded by a statement that we did not want to reef the main).

Some day circumstances may prevent you from using your main (it has happened to me). My observation will be quite useful in that event.
gminkovsky

Update on sailing with just jib

Post by gminkovsky »

This summer I had great success doing some lazy-man sailing with just jib. I was able to go upwind, tack and gybe using just jib and tiller. Apparently, the trick to good performance is mast rake. I had my backstays adjusted very tight. I also had the main halyard attached to the end of the boom and the main sheet sheeted-in very tight. All of this caused the jib luff to be tight, the sail flattened and center of effort moved aft.

The speeds were decent too: same as monohulls with 2 sails :) !