Bimini for 920

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

Bimini for 920

Post by buckle.roger »

Has anyone designed or had made a bimini for the 920 to shade the helmsman ?
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I am very concerned about UV exposure, so I fitted 2 biminis on my 920. The primary bimini is 4 feet (120 cm) long and is mounted on aft rail at about the middle lengthwise. The bimini is a standard size purchased from a marine store in the US. In the open position it reaches to just aft of the end of the boom in the front and overlaps the swim platform in the back. It provides enough shade for a sitting or standing helmsman except when the sun is low. (It is mounted higher than the lowest boom position.) I used 2 bimini jaws that open up to mount the center support on the rail. I used 2 other jaws that open up to mount forward support poles on the forward base of the aft rail. The four jaws that open up and the two forward support poles are as expensive as the rest of the bimini!

I mounted the second bimini on the sides of the main hull just forward of the cockpit. It is also a standard size bimini - 6 foot (180 cm) long. This bimini opens up to reach as far back as a main sheet, and just forward of the companion way hatch. In height it is just above the dodger so it clears the boom in the lowest position. This bimini provides excellent protection for the cockpit and cabin. However, it is difficult to use during sailing because is is so low. We usually use it at anchor or if motoring.

At anchor I also rig a canopy by hanging a heavy duty nylon tarp 9 foot by 12 foot. I attach it to the boom, backstay, forestay and eye of outboard aka using a few shock cords. It provides full shade over 1 trampoline.

I will take some pictures and post them if there is interest.
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

Post by buckle.roger »

Thanks for the ideas, I was working to a similar line but as I need a new mainsail I was wondering about getting the foot cut a little higher to lift the boom to solve the hight problem of the froward bimini but I dont know if this will adversly effect the set of the main though I doubt it, some pictures would be great if you have the time. thanks
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Photos for Bimini

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Thanks George (gminkovsky) for sending the pics for the Bimini

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Notes: the explanations are in the file names - difficult to read.

Here they are:
1. Aft bimini closed
2. Aft bimini forward support (attached with an opening jaw to the aft rail)
3. Aft bimini open
4. Aft bimini rear strap (attached to aft mooring cleat)
5. Aft bimini rear support (attached with an opening jaw to the rail)
6. Both aft and forward bimini open
7. Perspective: bimini open over 172 cm crew
8. Forward bimini closed
9. Forward bimini open
10. Forward bimini support attached to the side of the cabin