Leaking engine hatch latches

For all those DF35 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Einar Gloersen
Your Country: Norway, Oslo

Leaking engine hatch latches

Post by Einar Gloersen »

The engine hatch latches are leaking a little water when filled with rain water. Anyone who has a solution for this problem?
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir
Einar Gloersen

Water in engine room

Post by Einar Gloersen »

It’s definitely not the latches leaking. The water was seeping through the isolation material in the engine room. I have tested the steering wheel pedestal for leaks and pressurized the ventilation for the fresh water tank. Both are ok. The only possible explanation I can find is that I must have directed the water hose to the engine room ventilator when cleaning the boat, but there has been no water in the heating system. The air intake for the heating system is next to the engine room ventilator. So be careful when washing the port side of the cockpit, it’s a lot of work to dry out the isolation material!!
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir
docclayton
Your Country: USVI, Cruz Bay, St. John

Water in the Engine Room

Post by docclayton »

I have not found any leaking in heavy rains or washing the boat, including around the latches.

However, the hot water SS tank will blow off water into the starboard side engine bilge area when running the engine with the water system pressurized. I would love a fix for this but have accepted this to happen every time I run the engine for a prolonged period (>30 min).

Best,

James P. Clayton
DF35-6
US Virgin Islands
docclayton
Your Country: USVI, Cruz Bay, St. John

Water in the Engine Room

Post by docclayton »

One other point worth considering...

When sailing in heavy (3-5m) following seas saltwater can enter through the rudder uphaul tube. If this is a problem for you, it is very easy to make a fitting for the top of the tube to minimize this issue.

Best,

James P. Clayton
DF35-6
US Virgin Islands
Einar Gloersen

No problems this summer

Post by Einar Gloersen »

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the hot water over pressure valve, it ends up in a tube just below the engine. No water there, but some indications of smaller amounts of water. A lot of heavy weather this summer holiday but no water in the engine room.
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir
Einar Gloersen

Post by Einar Gloersen »

Just a follow up on this old tread. The problem repeats itself every autumn, has to be condensation that causes this. I have now removed all isolation material, too difficult to dry it up.
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir
Jin
Your Country: NL, Workum

slight water leak into engine compartment through cockpit sp

Post by Jin »

Just for the record, perhaps related to this old thread: I found both cockpit speakers torn at the low side. This allows rainwater to drip into the engine compartment.

The crack in speaker cone was about 3-4 cm long at the lowest point. Both port and starboard had the same crack at the same place. Not sure what caused it. I replaced both cockpit speakers.