Trailer rollers

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Trailer rollers

Post by dragonfly88 »

I have a 25 and the trailer came with a bunk for the hull to sit on as opposed to rollers. The only issue is painting that section of the bottom. Any good reason to abandon the rollers? It looks like the trailer had them originally.

Also the boat appears to sit a bit low in the water (judging by the bottom paint) and the port ama sits deeper than the starboard which I don't think would be explained by the motor being mounted portside. What is the history of water incursion into the foam of PC mould boats? The boat is not loaded down.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

From my experience the bunks will distribute the load more evenly than the rollers. If you use multiple bunks, you can lower them alternately to paint below them.
As to the issue of why the boat is sitting low, eliminate the obvious first. All the bilges dry in all the hulls? Any extra weight, or cargo in the ammas?
If that isn't your answer go to the West System web site. If I remember right, they have a procedure there on how to detect and repair wet cores.

Keep us posted
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

What is the history of water incursion into the foam of PC mould boats?
Not all PC Mould boats may have been foam core. Lady Kay came with custom access hatches installed in the ama's and possibly on the poop deck, although that one may be factory original. I found a piece of the cutout in the cabin, balsa.

Of course that doesn't mean that other pieces are not foam.

You can weigh the ama's fairly easily.....
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Post by dragonfly88 »

Thanks Ted,

I like the idea of the individual bunks.

As for gear in the amas there didn't appear to be anything in there when I was assembling the boat this summer. Nothing rattling about as I flipped them over anyway. The fore inspection ports look original and must have been leaking so the previous owner just caulked them shut and I was afraid i might break them if I tried to force them open so I will wait until the boat is out of the water to inspect there and replace the ports.

My impression of the boat in the water is formed by two sources.
The first is the existing bottom paint level. It is low enough that there is light growth all around the vaka and the amas. The second is pictures from www.storsegel.se . Lots of calm water pictures and those boats look like they are just on tip toe. I don't even have 100 lbs on board.

Anyway the boat is only in the water until the 1st and I can investigate more after it comes out.