water in cabin

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

water in cabin

Post by Christian »

This autumn has been a wet period, when raining, it has started to drip from the hatchway. (from cockpit down under) down on the cushions :roll:, any ideas in how to stop this leakage? Last summer this was not a problem. Do I have to clean holes of the “hatchway system” in some way?

Christian
Daun Allen
Your Country: USA, La Crosse/Wisconsin

Post by Daun Allen »

We had water dripping on our cushions too. We unscrewed the headliner (birch plywood, two pieces, be extra careful around the center ceiling light) and followed the water drip trails and stains. Our stainless steel grab rails needed re-bedding, they were loose. Re-bedded and tightened those but that only solved part of the problem. I looked for cracks and wiggled everything. On top of the outside of the cabin there are, port and starboard, molded fiberglass pass throughs for the lines that come from the mast, easy kick and outhauls for the jib blocks before the lines go into the cleats. We had a crack along the bottom of this pass through for these lines (inside the bottom where water pools up because the drain hole is at the wrong angle, on both sides of the boat). John sanded it clean after I had cleaned out all the dirt and applied 3 layers of marine grade silicone caulk. So far, no leaks this month. We are watching the cabin top, water has been migrating around in there and we are concerned about it getting soft and rotten.
BOAT = BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND (dollars or euros)
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

Hi Daun
I made a water test as a part of the winter work this year, pured buckets of water on the hatchway to see where it went – it looked like the holes leading out water from the hatchway where clogged with dirt. Made a pipe cleaner of metal wire and cloth. Pulled it into all holes and got out a lot of dirt. This made it better. But the final thing was the small rubber stopper for the hatchway. It is screwed into the wooden railing. That screw (and the force of opening the hatchway over and over again), made the screw hole into a crack – a crack leading water. So I have removed the rubber stopper and put silicon in the crack. Looks like it works – I'll cross my fingers.
/ Christian