Bowsprit for DF920 R

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Chris R
Your Country: England, South Coast

Bowsprit for DF920 R

Post by Chris R »

I have a 920 without a bowsprit, and the price quoted by Quorning seems very high. I'm thinking of getting one made up, but would prefer to measure all the kit on an existing boat. Has anyone got a 920 racing with bowsprit around Hamphire / Dorset that I could take the design / measurements from
David Hyland
Your Country: UK, Salisbury

920R bowsprit

Post by David Hyland »

Hi Chris,

You may already have solution but you are welcome to view Zoum!, a 2001 920R. It is moored in Ocean Village marina in Southampton. I believe the bowsprit is a standard Quorning fitting hinged so it can be swung upward to allow floats to be retracted.

Dave
Dave H

sjschweitzer815
Your Country: USA, Racine, WI

DF920 Bowsprit

Post by sjschweitzer815 »

I need to replace the bowsprit on my 2000 DF920. Does ay one have experience with building one? Experience with mounting a retractable sprit on the deck? Can you share your experience?
Ernst Fellner
Your Country: Germany, Bad Windsheim

Re: DF920 Bowsprit

Post by Ernst Fellner »

sjschweitzer815 wrote:I need to replace the bowsprit on my 2000 DF920. Does ay one have experience with building one? Experience with mounting a retractable sprit on the deck? Can you share your experience?
Hi sjschweitezer815,
June 2002 i attached an bowsprit with anchor fitting and roller at the bow of my DF920R-57, see the pictures in the old forum (24. June 2002 ).
Since that time I wanted to build an retractable Gennaker – boom as the distance between original Quorning bowsprit-fitting and new fitting at the front end of the bow-platform is merely 30 cm. The boom should be retracted in the anchor-locker and pusched out for Gennaker-sailing. But cutting a hole in the fuselage caused me headaches and so I did this only several years later.
As seen in the pictures a stainless steel hose is fixed at the bow platform. Drilling the opening for the boom I did in two steps: First a pilot-whole with a very long drill ( > 80 cm), guided at the shaft by a wooden fixing, then cutting the hole with a key-hole saw, see picture, the hole saw guided by the long drill. Inside the anchor-locker a tube is laminated, reinforced by an stainless steel ring, all laminated to the inner fuselage wall. The boom can now pushed in and pulled out easily by a tackle with cam-cleat as seen in the picture.
The length of the boom is limited by the rear wall of the anchor locker, the effective/usable length of the boom is about 90 cm, measured from the original Quorning fitting to the front end. You could use a longer boom but then an additional hole has to be cut in the rear wall of anchor locker and the boom would reach into the cabin ( locker over the front berth). I didn’t do this and I’m satisfied with the relatively short boom.
The front- and end- fittings of the boom are the original ones from Quorning.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image Image Image
Jurij13
Your Country: Oldenburg, Germany

Re: DF920 Bowsprit

Post by Jurij13 »

Hallo Ernst, hast du eigentlich noch alte Unterlagen/Zeichnungen über deinen Bowsprit? Würde mich darüber freuen. Grüße Jurij
Dragonfly 35-15 for 10 Years between 2009-2019
Dragonfly 920-123 at 2020