Mast Foot: Not fixed

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

Mast Foot: Not fixed

Post by Christine »

Next problem: Mast foot.

While lowering the mast at the end of the season, we had a problem with the mast mount which came away from the top of the deck sending the mast all over the shop.

When we checked, it seems the mast foot plate was only held on with screws into the fibre glass. Is this correct? The mast foot plate was replaced by a previous owner and I'm concerned that the company that did it for him did not do it correctly.

How should the mast foot plate be fitted?

Thanks

Christine
lercherlsepp
Your Country: Austria

Re: Mast Foot: Not fixed

Post by lercherlsepp »

Hello Christine,

fixing the mastfoot with four screws in the deck is correct. It is a kind of predetermined breaking point when the mast comes down unplanned. Otherwise it would destroy the deck. I could learn this already twice on my DF800SW ;-))

Just fill the screwholes with epoxyfiller, drill new holes und fixe the mastfoot again with the screws. When lowering the mast, there is only a shearforce on the mastfoot and the screws can hold this in any case.
Christine wrote:Next problem: Mast foot.

While lowering the mast at the end of the season, we had a problem with the mast mount which came away from the top of the deck sending the mast all over the shop.

When we checked, it seems the mast foot plate was only held on with screws into the fibre glass. Is this correct? The mast foot plate was replaced by a previous owner and I'm concerned that the company that did it for him did not do it correctly.

Thanks

Christine
Christine

Post by Christine »

lercherlsepp wrote:Sorry for sending my message four times. Hope, Bo can fix it.

:lol: Thanks Lercherlsepp, will refit as you've suggested. Loved the four replies :D Made me feel quite popular.

best wishes

Christine
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Deleted duplicates

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I've deleted the duplicated replies.

Christine, I hope it doesn't make you feel less important! :wink:

Bo
Christine

Post by Christine »

No :(
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Post by philw »

We discovered how the mast foot is attached too - in a very similar way to Christine by the sound of it! I was keen to get Trilemma off the water before the storm hit yesterday (99mph gusts at the needles about 12 miles away) so it was all a bit rushed. Very grateful to the thoughtful boatbuilder/designer for using screws rather than big strong bolts! No other damage done but we did have a few very nervous moments!

Now safely packed up on her trailer at home....

Phil
Christine wrote:Next problem: Mast foot.

Thanks

Christine
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast