Bow sprit dimensions

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Ken
Your Country: Australia, Bunbury WA

Bow sprit dimensions

Post by Ken »

I am going to set up a bowsprit on my DF MkII fixed wing.
I intend to take it off the base of my pullpit.

Could someone advise me on length, size of pole etc?

I am getting the top end of a broken carbon fibre wind surfer mast which may be of use but I would like to get the dimensions of an aluminium bow sprit too.

Thanks

Ken Mills
DF800 MkII Vamos
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Bow sprit dimensions

Post by tpaliwoda »

Ken:
I don't think there is a specific or correct answer. I think I explained to you earlier that i bought a packaged bow sprit from Corsair for my old 25. If I remember right, the pole diameter was about 2" (5cm) and the length was about 4' (1.25 M).
I think the pole length is basically up to you. You need to support it at the pulpit with a fitting attached to the deck (with a large backing plate beneath), from the pole ends to the bow of each amma, and finally from the pole end to the trailer winch eye. Now this fitting you should replace and install a bigger, stronger eye, and glass in the entire area behind the new eye again with another backing plate.
With the carbon fiber sprit you off to a good start, just find the correct fittings, dry fit it together. If it is to long, cut a chunk off and try again.
Regards.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Ken

Bow sprit

Post by Ken »

Thanks Ted

Thanks for advising me about reinforcing the eye in the hull. I presume I will be able to easily get to it from the chain locker.

I did read your post about getting a Farrier F25 pole but I am trying to do this within a budget so will set up my own. By the way I just participated in a 6 race regatta in the south west of Australia (Port Geographe regatta) with a F25 which had a screacher and a assymetrical kite. We only had an old smaller symetrical and still beat them 5 out of 6. I want to get a good asymetrical set up for next season and also hopefully a screacher to really be competitive.

Ken
DF800 MkII Vamos
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Bow Sprit

Post by tpaliwoda »

Ken:
You may have a bit of a time getting at that fitting. I actual had to cut a hole in the floor of the anchor locker to get at that fitting. No big deal, just put a round inspection plate in to repair the hole.

Another good tip, you can use stainless steel 1x19 wire for the bobstay (the wire that goes from the sprit to the trailer eye). You are going to have to fit some sort of turnbuckle to this with an heavy duty quick shackle at the boat end. Then use some high tech no stretch line like a PBO or a Vectran for the lines going to the ammas. This makes life easier when you are rigging it and easy on and easy off when your done with it.

Results sound great, just wrapping up ski season in this part of the world.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Anders B
Your Country: Denmark, Aarhus

Post by Anders B »

Hi !
We are using a 1,65 meter carbon bow spirit on our 800R. The support lines used is a 8mm dynema going from bow to spirit and 6 mm. going from amas to bow spirit. With this we carry a 67 square meter gennaker.
The carbon tube came from a 18' skiff - but I have seen examples here in Denmark using the bottom section of a windsurfer mast.
See: http://www.markvejen.dk/Fyncup/large-70.html
best regards
Anders Brandt
DF800R DEN 111M Demoiselle
Anders Brandt
DF 25 Smultronbris
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks Anders

That is good information. Did you reinforce the U fitting on the bow?

Regards

Ken Mills
DF800 MkII Vamos