Unsupported floats....

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Unsupported floats....

Post by Oscar »

Question pertaining to my 25, but close enough to the 800. The mast raising diagram shows the floats/amas extended on the trailer without support, ie the shrouds. is it OK to hang all the weight on the beam/hull attachments?
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Unsupported floats - while raising the mast

Post by tpaliwoda »

Oscar:
On the occasion that we raised the mast while the boat was on the trailer, I would always support the ammas so the boat would not move on the trailer.
We almost always would raise the mast while the boat was in the water. Easiest way is to find a floating dock with a long gangway going to it. Nose in to the dock so you can line up the mast on the gangway, over the bow of the boat. Place a 2x4 across the gangway, place the mast on top of the 2x4. Attach the rigging and raise away. By lifting it a few feet above the bow, you greatly reduce the amount of initial momentum required to get the mast going vertical.
Just a suggestion.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

The mast raising is another story, which I have conceptually worked out, and will implement later. It will be done on the trailer.

I'm just wondering whether the beam/hull connection is designed to take the unsupported load of the float/ama.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Check shroud length

Post by Christian »

Hi Oscar
On a DF800 SW - you have to unfold the amas to raise the mast. I have tried. It does not work folded. The shrouds aint long enough.
So before you try to rasie the mast folded - make sure you got some extra equipment to prolong the shrouds.
/ Christian
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I plan on installing temporary shrouds, with pelican hooks, that stay in proper tension as the mast goes up. I have used this successfully on other boats, as per manufacturer's design.

I don't necessarily want to raise the mast folded. And I guess that answers my question that it is indeed proper to unfold the ama's before the shrouds are up and thus with all the weight on the beam to deck hinge.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54