centerboard downhaul line

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

centerboard downhaul line

Post by gminkovsky »

The downhaul line on my 920 became very stiff and slippery after 6 years. It would no longer hold in the jam cleat, especially at higher speeds.

Downhaul line is 8 mm Dyneema with polyester cover.

I solved the problem by sewing new cover over the existing line: I bought 10 mm double-braided polyester line, measured a piece the length of downhaul line that can be cleated, removed the core, then pulled it over the existing line and sewed it in place with dacron thread.

To get the cover on the line, I first threaded a thin line through the cover, then sewed the thin line to the downhaul line, then pulled the thin line and downhaul line through the new cover.

A few years ago I used the same technique to put additional cover on the main halyard where the halyard goes through the lock. I did it in four places: main up, reef 1, reef 2, main down and halyard used as a topping lift. These covers protect the halyard from stripping if the lock is open under tension.