Honda 10 impeller

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Honda 10 impeller

Post by gminkovsky »

Has anyone changed impeller on Honda 10?

At the end of last season my Honda had diminished stream of water coming through the discharge hole. I traced the problem to insects in the plastic hose. I cleaned it with a pipe cleaner and everything went back to normal.

My engine is 6.5 years old. I planned to change impeller as a precaution before launching, but the boat yard forgot to do it.

The first few hours of operation this year were fine. However, yesterday I noticed that the stream is getting weaker and is down to light drip at idle. It is medium strength at half throttle.

I plan to clean the hose with a pipe cleaner again. However, I am wondering if the impeller really needs to be changed.

I would appreciate advise and instructions on how to do it.

Thanks,
George
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Honda 10 impeller

Post by Steve B. »

If it's like my neighbor's dinghy motor (bigger, but still a Honda), the stream coming out is only an indicator that the pump is working and is not all the water which is pumped.

Clean out the dried salt from the hole and you will probably be back to normal.

My neighbor does that at least once a year.

He's never had any over heating problems, even when the stream is almost non existent.

Most likely, your pump is fine.

Steve B.