Daggerboard to centerboard conversion.....

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Daggerboard to centerboard conversion.....

Post by Oscar »

On a 25..... Anyone ever heard of this, seen this or DONE this? In theory it's doable. But it has to make sense, other than the added cabin utility. I was thinking of building a trunk alongside the table, slightly off-set. Of course I would have to put a compression post it too.

Thoughts?
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Daggerboard to centerboard conversion.

Post by dragonfly88 »

I think the daggerboard probably has superior performance but no kick-up.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Try sailing the boat with the daggerboard first, then you be the judge.
If I was looking to do extra work on the boat, you can look at placing the daggerboards in the ammas. The Antrim 30 has them, and I do believe the Seacart 30 uses a center hull daggerboard, and two rudders, one on each amma. Check them out for ideas.
The only disadvantage the daggerboard has over the centerboard is no kick-up, the disadvantages are pointing and if you keep your boat on a mooring sometimes you get marine growth up there and it needs a little "encouragement" to get it to lower.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Hmmm, putting the boards in the ama's would greatly change, and increase the load on them. Not sure that's a good idea.

I will sail the boat as is first, as I'm trying to salvage as much of the season as I can, so the center hull renovation is scheduled for next winter. Right now finishing up the ama's, the trailering mods and the mast raising system.

The big advantage, for me, of the centerboard vs. daggerboard is the increased elbow room inside.....

Will post video soon when the mods are working.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54