Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions.

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions.

Post by Mika Harju »

My furling system top bearing was not working properly and finally it jammed totally. The seal of top bearing unit was broken and upper bearing was full of rust and did not rotate at all. There is possibility to get the whole rig down if the thread between upper and lower part of the bearing box opens while furling. If you need instructions and spare parts list please send me an email.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions

Post by tpaliwoda »

This happened on mine also. Had to go up on the chair to get it down. Bearings were shot. My opinion is that the furler is undersized.
It was an easy fix to replace the bearings. This is on my upgrade list - someday!
Mika Harju

Re: Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions

Post by Mika Harju »

My bearing set was also assembled upside down. The stainless steel rings between bearings were not taking the force from inner lower ball bearing ring to the outer upper ball bearing ring. I do not know has it always been like this or not.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Re: Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions.

Post by Steve B. »

Mika Harju wrote:My furling system top bearing was not working properly and finally it jammed totally. The seal of top bearing unit was broken and upper bearing was full of rust and did not rotate at all. There is possibility to get the whole rig down if the thread between upper and lower part of the bearing box opens while furling. If you need instructions and spare parts list please send me an email.
I would like instructions and spare parts list, but I can't find your email link.
Bo, please forward this message to Mika.

Thanks,
Steve B.
tpaliwoda

Post by tpaliwoda »

Steve:
Is yours a Pro-furl unit? If so give them a call (look on their website for your local dealer in Washington state). From what they told me a couple of years ago, it is a common problem, relatively cheap and a easy fix. They have the directions on how to do it. The hardest part was taking the sail down!
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

I don't know for sure exactly what it is, as I am the third owner of the boat.
It doesn't look like any profurl unit I've seen before; no telltale chartreuse anodizing. At any rate, I'll look around for profurl info.

The furler is getting harder and harder to use but if I ease the cap shrouds it gets easier. It sure sounds like that's the problem. Do I have to drop the forestay? The boat's at the dock in my back yard so I can take my time fixing it.
lercherlsepp
Your Country: Austria

Re: Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions.

Post by lercherlsepp »

Mika Harju wrote:My furling system top bearing was not working properly and finally it jammed totally. The seal of top bearing unit was broken and upper bearing was full of rust and did not rotate at all. There is possibility to get the whole rig down if the thread between upper and lower part of the bearing box opens while furling. If you need instructions and spare parts list please send me an email.
I had exactly the same problem at my 800 this year and could fix it by cleaning the bearing properly and mount it again with a lot of high density-grease. The furler is still not working well but it works. I can furl the genua by releasing the backstays, furling is possible which was not before.

I suppose that the bearing at the bottom is also damaged and I will do the same with it before setting the mast in spring.
tpaliwoda

Post by tpaliwoda »

Steve; I didn't have to remove the forestay. Just disconnect the forestay at the connection at the bow, you can then slide off the lower drum and then the upper bearing drum. Just use a halyard or two to take the load off the forestay before you release it.
lercherlsepp
Your Country: Austria

Re: Genoa furling system jammed. Fixing instructions

Post by lercherlsepp »

tpaliwoda wrote:Just use a halyard or two to take the load off the forestay before you release it.
But never forget doing this! :wink:
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Never forget...

This is probably a little off topic, but several years ago a man with a 5 year old very expensive 41 foot sailboat decided to replace all his standing rigging while the boat was in its slip at the marina. He dutifully removed the upper shrouds, the forestay, the backstay and the lower shrouds on one side. You guessed it, the deck stepped mast fell over on the next 3 boats!

Truly a "What was I thinking?" moment!
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Top Furler Fixing Instructions

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I've now added the photos to Mika Harju fixing instructions.
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Thanks for the photos and part numbers!

Recently, I took down the forestay and found the same thing, an improperly placed thrust bearing. The grease was mostly gone, the top bearing was really bad and rusting, the lower bearing was better due to having more grease, but was still in need of replacement, and the thrust bearing was somewhere in between. I ordered replacement roller bearings, but was unable to find a part number for the thrust bearing. Being that I've reassembled it (and added a couple more set screws to the housing for good measure) I'll try it out with the old thrust bearing.

The hardest part of the whole ordeal was finding someone to run me up the mast.

Steve B.
Mika Harju

Bartels furler system

Post by Mika Harju »

My boat has a jib furler made by http://www.bartelsgmbh.de/rollfockindex.html
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Steve B.

Probably the same furler...

Post by Steve B. »

I've got a tall rig on hull #15.
The upper swivel got my attention a few years ago, but I have not yet gone through the furler.
It's probably the same as yours, but I can't get a handle on which furler I have.
It's a one line furler, s.s. but how can I tell which one it is?
Do I first have to pull it?

TIA,

Steve
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

The furler on my 1000 was Profurl. It was a 1994 boat, but I don't remember the hull number. If you can't ID it easily, try searching the web or bring a photo to a local rigger, or post a photo online in a forum.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Steve B.

Definitely NOT a Profurl.

Post by Steve B. »

I wish it was.
I had Profurls on my previous boat, a Lord Nelson 35.
Mika Harju

Re: Definitely NOT a Profurl.

Post by Mika Harju »

Atttached you'll find a couple of photos of my furler. I hope these help you. This is Bartels Standard IV.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image

and the pdf file : FurlingFoilOriginalBartelsModel.pdf
Bjorn Isvi
Your Country: Sweden, Mariestad

The same problem

Post by Bjorn Isvi »

I now have the same problem as you had 13 years ago. How did you do to open the bearingbox? I can´t open my.
Mika Harju

Re: The same problem

Post by Mika Harju »

The upper swivel body is assembled by using glue to prevent it to opening. Use heat to melt the glue and if necessary you need to use plumber's tools to open it. You'll damage the surface then but there is no options if force is needed to open.

I replaced the original Bartels system about 10 years ago with one-off design by myself. If you're interested I could advise you to build one too.
A couple of 3D Cad screenshots:
( Bo will add these)
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8