Delamination of keel

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Einar Gloersen
Your Country: Norway, Oslo

Delamination of keel

Post by Einar Gloersen »

Third week of this summer holiday we observed vibrations in the keel. After lifting up the boat we found that the keel was broken. Had to cut away most of it and put a strap around the rest to hold it together. No problem sailing home, and expects a new keel from Quorning this week.
The reason for the damage is most likely a grounding in Rønne harbor Bornholm about 2 weeks earlier. The keel was halfway down and we were turning the boat 180 degrees in 20 knots wind. Then the keel hit the bottom. The impact was not hard, but the angle was may be 45 degrees or more from the side. This must have made a smaller damage and after some sailing (partly in strong winds during the IMM2009 regatta) the carbon broke in the front and aft of the keel.
Even though I ordered a reinforced keel I will be more careful in shallow water and wind from the side in the future. I heard a story at IMM2009 about another DF35 that hit the ground in 17 knots without any damages, and that’s what the keel is constructed for.
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir