Sailmakers in the US

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Sailmakers in the US

Post by gminkovsky »

I just came back from my sailmaker who examined my main and declared it dead. He will patch it up and I may be able to squeeze another season out of it.

My main is original Elvstrom sail in Pentex tri-radial cut. It lasted 7 seasons. The fibers are completed rutted. The sailmaker was able to tear the sail with his bare hands in an area that did not have creases or appeared damaged mechanically in any way. The sail also tore where I tied it with straps. It is just brittle. All of this is the result of UV damage. My sailmaker commented that my sail was very well made and he was surprised that it was 7 seasons old. He did say that it is all because of Pentex and that this Pentex is just not a very good material.

I will now start shopping for a new main. I am looking for recommendations on sailmakers in the US. I do want a square top. I have not decided on cloth yet. I am looking for names as well as actual prices paid and sail size.

Thank you all in advance.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Sailmakers in the US

Post by Mika Harju »

gminkovsky wrote:I just came back from my sailmaker who examined my main and declared it dead. He will patch it up and I may be able to squeeze another season out of it.

My main is original Elvstrom sail in Pentex tri-radial cut. It lasted 7 seasons. The fibers are completed rutted. The sailmaker was able to tear the sail with his bare hands in an area that did not have creases or appeared damaged mechanically in any way. The sail also tore where I tied it with straps. It is just brittle. All of this is the result of UV damage. My sailmaker commented that my sail was very well made and he was surprised that it was 7 seasons old. He did say that it is all because of Pentex and that this Pentex is just not a very good material.

I will now start shopping for a new main. I am looking for recommendations on sailmakers in the US. I do want a square top. I have not decided on cloth yet. I am looking for names as well as actual prices paid and sail size.

Thank you all in advance.
Calvert is one largely known multihull sail maker there.
http://www.calvertsails.com/
What is your boat type?
I updated my sail set this year with new High Tech Load Path (Matrix, D4, 3DL and many other names) sails made in UK and France. I am very happy with those, they are faster and now my tacking angle is about 5 degrees better specially in light air.
Please take a look at DF1000 forum.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

George,
I replaced all mine with a small loft in Florida, Sabre Sails.
If you remember Randy Symth, and his designs, well these guys were one of the lofts building his sails. Now I can't "officially" tell you they are using some of his old designs....... they sure look close. I used to have a set of Smyth sails on my 25 so I should know.
Go to www.sabresails.com for more info.
I am extremely pleased with my sails from them. All the high tech goodies, square top, Pentex, etc.

BTW - 7 years on a set of sails, I think that is pretty good. Especially for the high tech fabrics.
If you call them now I am sure they will give you a discount. If you do talk with them, tell them I sent you their way.
Good luck
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA