Swing wing system misalignment

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
nirvana_eric_DF1000
Your Country: France,Giens

Swing wing system misalignment

Post by nirvana_eric_DF1000 »

We are on the way to buy a df1000 and it has misalignment problem on tribord side, did someone have an idear what accident or wearing problem may do such misalignment?
Can we mail pictures ? (ed.: Yes, you can. Bo)

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Eric:
Welcome to the forum.
Only one rule- post under your model of boat.
I am sure Bo will move it to where it belongs.
As for your question, I think you may have to give us more information.
Lots of good information and help in here. Just have to give us enough details.
If you want to upload some photos - contact Bo, and he will get them uploaded.
Welcome aboard.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Eric,
Looks like the pins might need to be rebuilt. Is there some flex when the ammas are extended? Is there movement in this joint when you are sailing?
If so you need to redrill the hinge and install thicker pins.
That corrected that issue on my boat. Not a tough job, just need a good machine shop to make the thicker pins. And you may also a custom made drill bit to get the correct size. Check the 1000 forum, I think we already covered this issue in depth somewhere. To be safe - replace all four pins, two port side, two starboard side. The difference with the new pins is amazing. Almost effortless to open and close.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

My boat had a little bit of movement on the port forward hinge assembly.
The pin was in "as new" condition, but the holes in the hinge were not round due to wear.
With the boat tied up at the dock, I folded the boat, removed the pin and hinge assembly.
I then had a welder mark and weld the hinge, and redrill it.
With the help of a couple of ladies acting as variable ballast, I reassembled the ama/pin assembly using the original pin.
It works great.

Steve B.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Steve B. wrote:My boat had a little bit of movement on the port forward hinge assembly.
The pin was in "as new" condition, but the holes in the hinge were not round due to wear.
With the boat tied up at the dock, I folded the boat, removed the pin and hinge assembly.
I then had a welder mark and weld the hinge, and redrill it.
With the help of a couple of ladies acting as variable ballast, I reassembled the ama/pin assembly using the original pin.
It works great.

Steve B.
If you want to weld holes smaller and then drill a new hole you need to be really careful when welding stainless steel. It is hardening and then it might be impossible to machine or drill it any more without breaking your tool.
I think it is better to drill the holes bigger and replace the old pin with a bigger one.
Another possibility is to drill the holes much bigger and weld a ready machined bushing to the hole and use the existing pins
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
nirvana_eric_DF1000
Your Country: France,Giens

Post by nirvana_eric_DF1000 »

Thank you Ted for the response,
I don't know if there is a movement, i just try the boat one time, but next time i will try to move the amas, we'll put her outside the water so it will be easier.
Is it easy to dismount a hinge, does someone have an exploded view of it or a small drawing, it may help understanding.
marek
Your Country: East Coast, UK

Post by marek »

Looking at the pictures it seems to me that you have a problem with the amas opening too far forward and as a result the forward part of the beam is pressing against the hull.
I had the same problem. On my DF the movement of the amas forward was limited only by the metal wire in the aft trampolines. The wire stretches with time and under load (due to waves, wind or tension in the backstays). The solution was to install an additional wire in-between the metal rings normally used to lock the amas in the folded position (the wire follows more less the edge of the aft trampoline). I have also seen on pictures in the internet that some of the older DF1000s have an aluminium pole in that place which prevents the amas from moving too much forward).
Marek
DF 1000