Ping tpaliwoda

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Ping tpaliwoda

Post by Oscar »

Have a question for you as PPO.....

Most of the DF25/800 pictures I see have two shrouds, both going aft and one (the top one) with tackle. Some newer boats appear to have only one, with tackle for tensioning.

Mine has one that goes forward, and attaches forward of the forward beam. Then there's the aft one, which forks to an attachment about mid ships, then aft to the tackle.

Is this a PCMould thing? Did you or Stew do this? If so what's the thinking?

I do like it, because for the life of me I can't see the whole front of the float hanging on the beam hinge point on the hull. Every wave you bang in to there has to be a huge stress on the whole flying hull, as the arm is quite long.....

Also, all three are on the outboard side, which has to introduce a lateral twisting moment to the float. Newer boats show one outboard and the aft one inboard, aft of the aft beam, BUT this is on the longer float. Mine is the original short one, and the inboard one would have to be forward of the aft beam and would interfere with the beam when folding. Still, I plan on bringing the tackle inboard, and leaving the outboard attachment so I can bring it outboard when folding. I have reinforced the hull where the inboard mount would go. In fact have reinforced the hull where all the shrouds attach.....

Finally, the forward beam on at least one side without the forward shroud attached appears to be drooping a little..... Do I need to address this? Re drill the mount and upsize the pin? With the shroud attached and tensioned the only load would be in compression and would take care of any drooping....

Any thoughts?
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Oscar,
Sorry it took a while to get back to you - ski racing season with the kids takes up a lot of my time.
Now I haven't owned the boat since 2002, so a lot of the modifications that were made, were made by the PO.
When I had the boat all three shrouds ended on the outboard side of the amma. Was never a big deal with twist, none was ever noticed.
As for the front shroud, I also thought that was a good idea. Kind of like a back-up shroud for the forestay or the main shroud. I did try sailing the boat without it, no difference was noted. Just gave a real good sense of extra security. I think if you look at the older fixed amma 25's they had the same system.
I don't think it would hurt to bring that attachment point inboard. You do great work and I am confident you will get it right!
As for the pins - I know I never replaced them, and I can bet Stew never replaced them either. Pretty easy job to do, you will have to get the pins custom made at a machine shop, no big deal and you might have to get a custom made drill bit. Again, not a big deal. You just need to keep the amma supported well when you are drilling out the holes. Use plenty of cutting oil also.
Give a shout if you have any further questions.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Thanks Ted.....

The question I still have though, is that on the "European" boats it appears the forward end of the ama hangs on the hinge, with nothing relieving the stress on the hinge.... That's a long arm....
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54