Delaminating mainsail

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Delaminating mainsail

Post by penryj »

After about 800nm (albeit in the Persian Gulf) I am having some nasty delamination of my genesis mainsail. I think these sails don't really flake down that well and the delamination has started along one of the upper batten pockets.
Can anyone recommend an adhesive that I can use to glue back the film onto the inner weave on both sides?
thanks
Penry
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Delaminating mainsail

Post by Mika Harju »

penryj wrote:After about 800nm (albeit in the Persian Gulf) I am having some nasty delamination of my genesis mainsail. I think these sails don't really flake down that well and the delamination has started along one of the upper batten pockets.
thanks
Penry
Did you ever got any comments or feedback from Quorning Boats or sailmaker (Elvstöm or who)? Why has this delamination happened?
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Post by penryj »

Elvstrom are going to take back the sail and either replace the offending panels or the whole sail. They did try to suggest that I was not flaking down the sail correctly but I refuted that argument with evidence! I just need to work out not how to get it to Denmark. By now, I'm also getting delamination caused by the small semicircles of material at the plastic spacers coming adrift so the sail is becoming rapidly unusable. Our season ends here in May though so I have the 3 summer months to get it to them.
As a temporary measure I used 3M Series 77 Spray to glue down the parts but it was quite tricky to get the glue into the far reaches of the delamination.
I'd really like to keep this sail for racing and buy a lighter, but tougher set for cruising (we generally never encounter winds above 25kts here) but Elvstrom say this is the lightest sail they can make for the DF35U, given the power of the boat. I wonder whether the non-Genesis standard mainsail that Quorning supply with the DF35 Cruising would work on the Ultimate's rig?
Or perhaps someone has specced something else.
I have the Code 0 / LWG supplied by Quorning and this is OK off the wind up to about 12kts. So a mainsail in that material might be OK but it doesn't have any UV protection which I need in this environment. Dacron is tougher but I suspect will again be too heavy.
Fabio
Your Country: US, Fort Lauderdale, 33301

delaminating mailsail

Post by Fabio »

It has happened to me as well, sailing in 8 knots of breeze
Fabio