Outboard motor recommendations for DF 800

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Outboard motor recommendations for DF 800

Post by Paul »

We have just had our first sail on the new "pride and joy". Wind was very light, 5-10 knots, but perfect for the first time out. Lots to learn with regard to what sheet or halyard goes where, optimum sheeting angles etc. The boat came with 15 HP Mercury 2 stroke, it's big, heavy, smelly and dirty so will be trading it in. I am considering a Honda 4 stroke, either 5 or 8 hp. Any comments or suggestions on engine size would be appreciated. I read that the maximum engine size for DF 800 is 8 hp, I am guessing that means 8hp 2 stroke? Thanks in advance for replies.

Paul
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

If/when I repower a Honda 8 would be my choice. It's not light at 100 lbs so some adjustment may be in order. If you sail mostly protected waters you may get by with a 5 at 60% of the weight.

You can't beat 4 strokes for the quietness and the lack of odor.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree with your comments Oscar, I have a 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha on the 10 metre cat and it has performed admirably pushing 6.5 tonnes of boat at average 5.5 kts @ 2/3 revs. I am thinking the 5 hp Honda may do the trick, if I need to motor any distance then there is little wind and therefore fairly flat sea conditions. The 5 hp has an alternator which puts 3 amps back into the battery, another thing going for 4 strokes. Will have a chat to my local Honda dealer about it. Thanks for your input. Am installing a 20 watt solar panel on the DF this week. How is the preparation for a spring launching going?

Cheers,

Paul
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Well, the last week or two life has been getting in the way. But, I'm trying hard.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Post by dragonfly88 »

Hi Paul,

I have a DF 25 and power with a Honda 8 (4 stroke). Moves the boat at 7 knots. Fairly quiet. I also have the alternator but it doesn't seem safe to use with a deep cycle battery so I never hooked it up.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I also have the alternator but it doesn't seem safe to use with a deep cycle battery so I never hooked it up.
Some research may show you how to disable the regulator on the engine, and then install a smart regulator next to the battery.

That said, I have run a Honda 9.9 on a deep cycle and it worked fine. Sold the boat before the battery was two years old, so cannot vouch for longevity.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Paul

Post by Paul »

We raced the boat in a "fun race " last Sunday against a fleet of mono hulls including Bavarias and Beneteaus a very fast Pescott catamaran and a Corsair 750. 12 boats competed in the monthly "fun race", some with spinnaker some without-- we opted for non spinnaker for our first race but did carry our genoa on the bowsprit. Race distance was 15 miles around an island, a run in one direction then a beat to weather back to the finish line. Wind strength was 15 - 20 knots.
I still have a grin from ear to ear as we took line honours, beating a Farr 40 by a boat length even though we started 5 minutes behind him.
A very nice bottle of Jamaican rum was our prize and it is saved for a special occasion.
Our handicap is shot however and I have been assured that next race we will be starting at the very rear of the fleet!
So, how did the boat perform?
This was just our second sail on her so there were teething problems. We had never rigged the genoa on the bowsprit, the reefing lines had to be run, we had trouble getting the mainsail luff tight, but the boat performed very well, was well mannered, tacked easily handled the 2 metre swell admirably, was dry --- and FAST!
There is no doubt we will have a steep learning curve but it will be a fun boat to sail.
The decision to go for the long shaft 8 hp Honda is the correct one as the old Merc 15 hp short shaft constantly cavitated in the 2 - 3 foot waves when re entering the marina after the race. The new engine will be installed this week.
I don't see a problem using the charging circuit on the engine, it will have little prolonged use as we shall sail whenever possible and we will always be using vhf radio, plotter and gps and depth sounder so there will be a constant drain on the battery. As Oscar pointed out, a regulator can always be fitted in the charging circuit to stop overcharging the battery.
I wanted to give forum members my first impressions after our first real sail so apologize for the rather long winded reply to the thread on outb oard engines for DF's
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

Post by MJF »

We went for a 6hp Suzuki long shaft for our 800. Much better than the 5hp 2-stroke it replaced and increadibly frugal. 5 knots running in for 3hrs used just over 1.5 l on the internal tank.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

Paul

:D

/ Christian
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Cool. Have you tried it into a windy chop yet? Good power, no cavitating?
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not yet Oscar, the dealer should deliver the engine today, it had to come from Brisbane which is 2000 km away. Will post observations once I try it in a chop.

Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

The Honda 8 4 stroke is now installed, it is quiet, has ample power in forward and reverse and in a 2-3 foot chop there was no cavitation with the outboard bracket lowered to about the mid position. It IS heavy -- around 46 kilos for the long shaft model and it does wobble a bit when tilted in the up position and sailing in 1 metre waves, which were the conditions we tested it in. The dealer assured me that the outboard bracket is rated to take a 25 hp motor (2 stroke) which would weigh about 10 kilos more than the Honda 8.
Nevertheless I have secured it to the boat with a length of 12mm double bias rope! The alternator works very well putting 6 amps into the battery whenever the motor is running. So far no complaints and I feel that this is the engine for the job, especially as Honda are offering a 5 year warranty.
toby123
Your Country: USA,Annapolis

Post by toby123 »

I am looking into getting a new motor as well, and was wondering how people had fared with 6hp 4 strokes? I have heard they are a little lacking in power, so was wondering specifically how they have performed in heavy wind, and chop conditions. I am looking specifically at a 25" shaft tohatsu 6. Thanks for any input.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Toby, I discussed getting the Honda 6hp with my dealer, he pointed out that the 6hp motors are single cylinder so aren't as smooth and he didn't think the 6 hp would have the power needed for my conditions, which are generally winds in the 15 - 25 knot range with 1-2 metre waves. In my opinion the 6 hp would be fine in smooth conditions such as a lake but may lack the grunt to push your boat through any kind of chop over a few feet. I took his advice and went for the 8hp and the added weight, and don't regret doing so. Hope this helps your decision making.

Cheers.

Paul
toby123

Post by toby123 »

Yeah Paul, that is my feeling as well. I appreciate your feedback.

I would love to hear from someone who actually has a four stroke 6hp and see what their experience has been though in windier conditions.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Toby, perhaps MJF who has a 6 hp 4 stroke -- see 7 posts up from here--- can give you his/her opinion on the subject?

paul
toby123

Post by toby123 »

That would be great. I don't know if there is any way to email or contact posters? If not, hopefully he will check back on this thread.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Bo reads all posts so will most probably drop an e-mail to them saying there has been a reply to the thread, good luck with it.

Paul
toby123

Post by toby123 »

Great, thanks Paul!
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I've contacted MJF to have a look at this thread.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks Bo. You administer a very good forum and deserve all compliments.

Paul
toby123

Post by toby123 »

Yes, thank you Bo, and Paul!
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

Post by MJF »

Gents,

Sorry about the delay in response I've been on holiday.

I've only struggled with the 6hp once to date. That was against an 8 knot current, which was just bad planning on my part.
Saying that if I was faced with 1-2meter waves on a routine basis I'd buy an 8hp.

Regards
MJF
Ken
Your Country: Australia, Bunbury WA

Post by Ken »

I have two outboards. A long shaft 2002 Yamaha 8hp which is ideal. That model has plenty of power and "bite".
I also have a very cheap Parsun 3.6hp long shaft (Chinese copy of a Yamaha). I use the Parsun which only wieghs 15kg when I am racing and need to motor to a marina. It works reasonably well in flat water / no wind but can struggle if the conditions are poor. My boat is on a mooring in summer and I leave the parsun in the cabin. It is easy to carry. Also so cheap that I don't really worry about theft!

Regards
Ken
DF800 MkII Vamos