Waterstays replacement

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

Waterstays replacement

Post by Baboonty »

I got my new set of waterstays and I'm wondering about the replacement and setting process.

What should be the key points to take care ?

Should the boat be on the ground or is it possible to operate on water?

Do I have to set the new ones exactly with the same lenght of the former ones? I mean, plus ou minus 1 cm should be avoided?

What would result if I screw the threading too much?

Thanks for your help
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Adjusting waterstays

Post by Steve B. »

I've not had to replace mine, (PNW has lots of rain) but adjustment just means you need to have proper tension when the boat is unfolded.

I seem to remember reading on this forum that the pin to the main hull chainplate should just fit when the boat's amas have about a foot to go in the unfolding process.
That's the adjustment I use and it works fine for me.
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

waterstays adjustment

Post by Baboonty »

I just went through the previous posts on this topic, I now have replies to my answers.
Replace and adjust on water is possible and the way described to give a proper setting seems easy to do.
I will try to keep accurately the same lengh on the new ones than the actuals as the folding/unfolding is quite easy (on water).
I'm in a total refit process of the boat and didn't have so far opportunity to sail her, that's why I'm a bit anxious of the good setting of some critical parts of my DF.

Olivier
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Waterstays replacement

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote:I got my new set of waterstays and I'm wondering about the replacement and setting process.

What should be the key points to take care ?

Should the boat be on the ground or is it possible to operate on water?

Do I have to set the new ones exactly with the same lenght of the former ones? I mean, plus ou minus 1 cm should be avoided?

What would result if I screw the threading too much?

Thanks for your help
I have adjusted mine on water. Tight the waterstays until it is a little bit difficult to open the amas all way out, then take half a turn back. This works for me. Do not drop anything, the pins does not float!
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8