a question on water stays

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

a question on water stays

Post by Paul »

The front starboard waterstay on my DF is not tight like the other three, there is no provision for adjusting the length of the waterstay and there is quite a bit of movement of the starboard float until the waterstay tightens and restricts movement. I'm guessing that it is about 15mm too long. Why would this happen? Are they all the same length? Maybe I should rotate then-- like car tyres! Anyone else had a similar situation? Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Paul
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

DO NOT use the boat like this. The stays must have zero slack, and you should be able to deflect them no more than a few centimeters with light hand pressure.

You should be able to adjust them by removing the center hull attachment clevis pin, and rotating the stay to screw it in at the ama end.

If your stay does not have enough thread to take up the slack I can only assume that one of the end fittings has slipped. DO NOT USE THE BOAT unless you get this fixed. Structural damage could result.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks DH, I didn't know that the waterstays are adjustable on the ama end,
is there much force required to adjust them? I'm assuming you screw them clockwise to tighten? Will adjust them before using the boat again. Why is something this important NOT mentioned in the owners manual?? Thank heavens for this forum, owning a Df 800 it has been quite a learning curve for me and the input from forum members has been invaluable.

Cheers, Paul
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

You should remove the clevis pin at the center hull attachment point with the float approximately half folded -- when half folded the stay won't be under tension.

To tighten, screw the stay clockwise if you are facing the ama from the center hull. Try a few complete turns, replace the clevis and then open the ama fully. If it becomes just slightly difficult to open all the way, you are at the right tension. If it is very difficult you have it too tight, and if you feel no resistance at all before it is fully open you have it too loose. Fine-tune by making your adjustments in half-turns.
Last edited by Double Horizon on Fri 16 Jul 10, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Important note: I am not sure about 800, but on 920 front and back waterstays are of different length!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I removed the water stays today and they are fixed, not adjustable. I have taken them to my rigger and he will make up 4 new ones with an adjustable fitting at the main hull end. The front and rear stays are slightly different lengths as pointed out by 920 owner gminkovsky. Thanks everyone for your input. I will post a photo of the new stays once they are finished.

cheers,

paul
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

An e-mail to Quorning may be in order..... I wonder why one "stretched"....

Mine have turnbuckles on them, thanks for the tuning technique.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Paul

Post by Paul »

I don't know why one "stretched", it's about 15mm longer than the others, new ones being made of 8mm Dyform stainless wire with Ronstan open body turnbuckles at the main hull end. Went for open body because you can see the inside of the fitting and it makes it easier to hose them after sailing in salt water. Will set the tension with the boat floating just off the beach so I can walk around it and do the adjustments. Oscar, how is the main hull stripping process going?

cheers,

Paul
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Half of it's done.....

Family vacation (non sailing) getting in the way.... I'm looking at mid August before I'll get back to it.....
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54