Furling Boom

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
pmg2001
Your Country: US, MA

Furling Boom

Post by pmg2001 »

Greeetings all,

I want to let all know that last winter I replaced my standard Dragonfly boom with a Schaefer roller furler boom and am very happy with the results. The new boom is about 12" higher and 18" longer than the boom from Quoring. The new main sail has a fair amount of roach and is very close to the same total sail area as the main sail was with the standard boom. The Schaefer boom, vang and equipment appears very well engineered and is very substantial.

It is a much easier way for me to set the mainsail, reef it, and furler it. I have found this to be trouble free (so far) and just requires a little bit of familiarization to make sure I let the main down only as fast as the furling is taking it up.

It sails great with the new main sail.

I like never leaving the cockpit for raising or furling the sail, having extra headroom in the cockpit, not messing with the lazy jacks and not having to wrestle the rather larger mainsail back into the sailcover.

This is an expensive modification, but for me, I am very glad I did it.