DF 800 CE Rating

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

DF 800 CE Rating

Post by MJF »

Hi

I looked on the spec page and noted that the DF800 has a CE Cat B rating.
According to a page I found the Directive 94/25/EC has four boat design
categories:
A — Ocean
B — Offshore
C — Inshore
D — Sheltered waters

Is an DF800 really Offshore rated?

I found another page which defines the categories
Definitions of Boat Design Categories.

‘A’ OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

‘B’ OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 m may be experienced.

‘C’ INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

‘D’ SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3 m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5 m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

Not sure I'd fancy Force 8 and 4m waves in a DF800. I imagine you'd be going through waves rather than over them!

Can someone clarify or am I just a fair whether sailor?
Thought it was lively in a F6!

MF
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

When you look at "ratings" of a vessel, you have to understand that is what the vessel is capable of handling - not what the skipper and crew is capable of handling. One mistake by an inexperienced crew will put you at a lot more risk than what the vessel may be rated for. Stuff happens real fast.
Better to run prior to the weather kicking up than saying my boat can handle 6 meter waves and 35 Knots of wind, and really finding out that you can't handle the vessel.

Just my opinion.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA