Unusual experience with a rudder

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Unusual experience with a rudder

Post by gminkovsky »

I had a very unusual experience with the boat trim: had very strong weather helm on port tack and slight lee helm on starboard tack. Usually, my boat is very balanced with very slight weather helm.

I checked everything, tightened the rudder downhaul and the board downhaul, checked sail trim, checked backstays that they are even on both sides, checked the amas. Could not find anything.

Finally, I just turned completely downwind, pulled the rudder all the way up, looked at it and then quickly pulled it down again. The helm went back to normal!

I suspect that when my son put the rudder down the first time either the rope or the the wire got stuck between the blade and the rudder mount and changed the angle of the blade slightly. When I put the rudder down I keep tension on both uphaul and downhaul lines and do it slowly. He may have done this very fast like he does on a dinghy.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

That happened to me a couple of times with my 1000.
The fitting on the wire sometimes gets a little sideways when the rudder is pulled down. It's not noticeable until you get into the big stuff.
Check it visually before sailing if you've raised it.