re-motorization

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

re-motorization

Post by Baboonty »

I'm seriously thinking of having change my old Volvo 2020B . It's really noisy, loses some oil, and definitely not enough powerful for a choppy headwind condition.
Furthermore, most of control instruments doesn't work anymore (tachymeter, alarms,etc..).
As my game field is now the Méditerranean sea, I have to expect some summer calm wind conditions with possibly long crossings.

I'm wondering what could be the change (speed and confort) with a 30 hp (Volvo D1-30 ?) engine with an efficient propeller.

Did someone make this improvment on its DF 1000 ?
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

Post by Baboonty »

My DF 1000 is now equiped with a 29hP D1-30 Volvo with a 3 blades Flexofold 16x11.

I am fully satisfied with this improvment, engine run much more smoothly and quietly and the speeds recorded with a normal sailing loaded boat, with the center board fully up and calm water are :

6,1 kts at 2000 rpm
7 kts at 2400 rpm
7,8 kts at 2800 rpm
8,5 at 3200 rpm and 8,8 kts at full power around 3400 rpm.

The propeller work perfectly when maneuvering in both ways.
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Fuel Flow

Post by TC »

I see the new engine is about 60 pounds heavier than the old. Does this seem to affect handling/sailing qualities?

Has the fuel flow at the speeds listed changed between the old and new engine?
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17